As a general rule, I don't blog about anything on my bucket list until I have completed the item. Today, I'm breaking that rule a little bit. One of the things on my list is to give back to Oklahoma State. I know I'm no T.Boone and won't ever have my name on the football stadium after donating $165 million dollars. But I am excited to get to the point in my life when I will be able to make a donation when the Ag college calls me seeking scholarship funds.
Apparently Grace Groner had the same feeling about her alma matter, Lake Forest College. Grace died in January. She was 100 years old. And to the surprise of everyone, she was a millionaire. Her estate, worth $7 million dollars, was left to her alma mater.
Grace wasn't your typical millionaire. She grew up in the Depression, and she learned to be frugal. The majority of her fortune was made by purchasing stock for $180 dollars in 1935. The majority of her fortune was kept because of her frugal ways. She didn't own a car--she walked. She bought her clothes at a rummage sale. She lived in a one bedroom house.
That's another reason I love her story. She reminds me so much of my grandmother and great uncles. They, too, were raised during the Great Depression. The effect that experience had on their lives, even some eight decades later, was profound. People of that generation were a different breed and I always love to hear stories about these people.Grace must have had a great college experience. I understand her, and I'm looking forward to receiving my call from OSU and giving back myself, even if it is a small amount.




2 comments:
Really neat story - thanks for sharing.
I loved the story...it's nice when the news has something positive on!
Post a Comment