Recently a woman I know said something that made me think. She said, "You are just so lucky to be a happy person. It's refreshing. I wish I was like that." She seemed to think that happiness was genetic (like your height) or a gift given to some people that others don't have (like the ability to sing) or something along those lines. It got me to thinking, and I disagree.
Now, I realize I am extraordinarily blessed and I am grateful for the gifts I have been given every day. If anyone in the world should be happy, it really is me because I've been blessed far beyond what I deserve. However, on the other hand, I think a great deal of my happiness comes from my own conscious decision to be happy.
At the risk of sounding like a self help book here, every day I see and hear people complain, whine, and just act generally miserable. I just choose not to do that. I make a daily decision to be happy and upbeat. Life is too short and too precious to go around in a bad mood all the time.
Sure, we all have days where we need a pity party, but hopefully these days are few and far between. When they happen, you have your pity party day and get over it the next.
So figure out what you can do for yourself to make you happy. Then do it. I have some friends who love curling up on a couch all day with a book. I have some friends who need to go spend the afternoon on a horse. I have another who loves bubble baths and pedicures. Today, I decided I wanted some flowers. So instead of sitting around sulking that no one was buying them for me, I got in my car and took my butt down to the store and came back with the yellow mums you see below. Whatever it is that makes you happy--do it.
So when you wake up in the morning (well, not right when you wake up because I'm SO not a morning person and would be a completely hypocrit if I said that...but maybe like after you've gotten up and showered and got dressed and listened to some music and driven to work) decide that you are going to be happy that day. Happiness isn't genetic--it's a choice. Make it!

P.S. ~ If you are wondering about the random pictures....I just tried to pick out some of the happiest pictures I had. I figured that it couldn't hurt to get the day started off right!




2 comments:
Well said Tiff! Love the pictures btw...
Absolutely amazing post Tiffany!! You are SO amazing and live life exactly the same way ;) Love ya
Post a Comment