Monday, April 5, 2010

OSU Family Easter

"I've learned that your college friends become kind of family, you eat together, you take naps together, fight, laugh, cry, and do absolutely nothing together until you can't remember how you ever lived your life without them in the first place." ~Anonymous


This Easter I was thinking back on the holiday and I decided a blog about my favorite Easter may be necessary. It was my senior year of college at OSU. We never got off Good Friday (shame on OSU....being in the Bible Belt and all!) so it was just too far for us out of state kids to make it home. Instead, we had our own "family" Easter dinner. So there we were....our hodge podge group of New Mexicans, our token Texan, and our city boy Okie.

I can still remember everyone getting all dressed up and meeting at our apartment to go to church. We all piled into my car, like one big happy family, and then all piled into a pew where there was probably room for about 1/2 of us. Sorry people who were squished in the process--but family sits together for Easter church! I seem to even recall Cole threatening to pull the car over if the bickering didn't stop in the back seat.


When church was over we all went back to the casa and had a huge dinner. I don't remember what we had--my guess is mexican food since that's really the only thing I know how to cook. I do remember that I had to make deviled eggs especially for Christopher, because his mom always made deviled eggs on Easter and I was like his college mom, and in his head, that logic made complete sense. I made his stupid eggs.
The saying is true that your college friends become like a family. These boys (and College Roomie) were there for me no matter what--good, bad and everything in between. I could always count on them for anything. From taking the dead mous out of a trap, to a place to sleep when our apartment almost exploded, to the craziest nights ever at the Penny, to golf lessons that ended up in screaming matches, to saving the worst birthday ever.....they were there.

They were, and will always be, family. Even if that means making deviled eggs to go with enchilladas.

No comments: