Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Epidemic

"I was more afraid of missing out on God's best for my life than of being alone." ~Trish Ryan, A Maze of Grace

College Roomie started it all when she got an email from one of her friends in China. College Roomie had previously written the friend a letter filling her in on what was going on with her life. Mind you, College Roomie owns a house, has a great job, just got back from Vegas and has a great best friend (aka ME!).
In reply to College Roomie's letter, the friend said, “Happy to know that everything is good to you, but what I care about more is when will you get married?


Ugh. THAT question. It's an epidemic. And apparently, it is worldwide!

For the life of me, I don't understand it. Why is that the ONE question that it's socially acceptable to ask someone about every time you see them? It would not be okay to ask someone, "So do you have a college degree yet?" or "So did you finally get off your lazy hiney and get a job?" or "So when are you going to lose the 20 pounds you need to lose" when you were not sure of the answer. But it's totally fine to quiz away about someone's relationship status?

And, even a bigger question is why do people measure the quality of a person's life based on their marital status? Don't get me wrong here....I want to get married. Like a lot. BUT.....just because I am not married yet does not mean that my life is sad or that I am miserable. In fact, quite the opposite is true.


I'm happy and independent and free to do and go and talk to whomever I want. I can spend a whole Saturday in my pajamas watching college football or I can jump on a plane to Notre Dame or Stillwater or San Francisco without checking with anyone else, or I can eat Wheat Thins for dinner. And if for some reason I never get married, my life will still be great. (Although I will probably have to learn to cook because a girl can only live in Wheat Thins for so long).

My point is this. While I'm waiting for Mr. Right to come out of the forrest he's lost in (if you see him, please give him a map to my house), I'm still living a really great life. And it's full of a wonderful cast who loves me and supports me and makes me a better person. Am I married? No. Am I happy? You better believe it.


Oh, and when Mr. Right does arrive, you won't need to ask.....I'll probably make t-shirts for everyone and rent a billboard. Designed by this guy. He's clever.

3 comments:

Codi M said...

Lol! You made me laugh today. At 29, I've heard all kinds of stuff from people who want to know what I am waiting for, who I am waiting on, etc. An aunt told me I'd better hurry up or my eggs would fossilize! Really?!? Who says that? Oh and my students always want to know when I am going to get married or have kids (in their minds these things don't have a particular order) -- I told them I was too mean to be a wife or mom....a few agreed! lol

Tiffany said...

Oh, Codi! The fossilized eggs comment is just too much.....I cannot beleive someone seriously told you that! I'm quite sure that you are NOT too mean to be a mom or a wife. When you do find the right guy, we'll post a blog on here and save you the money on a billboard!

Annie said...

Funny story to add to this.. both you and Codi will enjoy. The other day I was at an "FFA" event when "ag-teachers wife" tells me:

atw-- "annie what are the odds of us getting you married?"
Me- o shit, "umm.. slim to none?" Atw- "no really, %&(I*% is a very religous man.. what do you think?
me-- oshitoshitoshitoshit " atw.. thats not gonna happen.. EVER.. not if i'm the last woman on earth and hes the last man"

atw -- "you need to talk to $%^&* they work with him and they can tell you .. he is a very religous man.."
me -- "no.. not gonna happen..no thanks"
atw -- "well if your not careful you are gonna end up the crazy , bitter, mean old cat lady!"
me - " ya.. i;m ok with that"

lol.. its like its socially unacceptable to be single!! everyone at work in small town america is constantly trying to get me set up with any single male within 30 miles that is under the age of 40.. erg!!

Well girls my momma always says "no other dog will bury the bone that is destined for you" and Codi you arent mean!! lol