Friday, September 28, 2012

Let's Talk Wedding Dresses.

“Over the years I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.” ~Yves Saint-Laurent

Okay, kids.  Let's talk wedding dresses. 

First off.....y'all know I'm an expert bridesmaid by this point, but come December, this guy is going to turn me into a groomsman. 
State Fair Steer Show
Well, I'm deeming myself a groomsma'am, but whatev.  So....I'm on the hunt for a chocolate brown dress to wear while I stand with the boys in BFF's wedding.  I need something that's cute, but not too overwhelming since I'll be standing with dudes in khakis, white shirts, and brown vests.  The wedding is in December, so the dress needs to be long.  And I'm chubby, so we're going for slimming.  Now that you know the criteria,  I've come up with a few options, but need some input!  Comment with your favorite below.

Option #1:  This is my favorite, but it's kinda pricey.  Are the flowers too much?

Option #2:  I found this one trying to find a knock off version of Option #1.  I kinda like it.

Option #3:  I'm a little on the fence about this one.

Option #4:  I like that this one is shiny.

Option #5:  I mostly just like the price tag on this one.

Option #6:  This one is kinda different....but I'm not sure I'm sold.

Second.....and on to the main event.  College Roomie, her future mother in law, her friend Neighbor, and myself all headed to the bridal shop on Monday to check out dress options.  After my involvement in the engagement, I wasn't going to miss out on this part.  I don't think of myself as too much of a typical girl dreaming about her wedding, but turn me loose in a room full of white dresses and sparkly beads and some switch gets flipped.  I wanted to make my own appointment just in case I ever meet Mr. Right.  Or heck, in case I don't.  I still want to try on those dresses!

But anyway, back to the task at hand.....here are a few of the dresses that College Roomie tried on.  Of course, she l looked stunning in every single dress she put on.  She should be a wedding dress model or something.  In the end, we narrowed it down to two dresses, but she will not be telling anyone her final decision until the wedding day.  Kinda fun, right?  I gave them all fun names because, well, I'm cool like that.

Dress #1:  The Neck Net

Dress #2:  Grace (after Grace Kelly)
Grace again...the back.
Dress #3:  Audrey (as in Hepburn)
Dress #4:  The Little Mermaid (the top reminded me of a mermaid)
Dress #5:  Fake Straps (it's really strapless but they clamped on straps.
 Please vote for your favorite below.  College Roomie will be listening.  Mine, for the record, is Grace.

15 comments:

K said...

Trying on wedding dresses is so much fun! College Roomie looks beautiful in all the gowns.

For the bridesmaid dresses, I like options 3,4, or 5 (I'm not a fan overall of the one shoulder strap dresses).

Ashleigh said...

I agree with both of your favorites! I don't think the flowers are to much in Option 1 and I LOVE one shoulder dresses :) College Roomie looks GREAT in Grace with that back!

Mandy said...

For the bridesmaid dress, I vote option 4 or 5.

For the bride's dress, I vote Grace!

Weddings are so much fun!!

Katy Robertson said...

#2 and #3 are my favorites. They look more sophisticated and less prom-ish as so many bridesmaids dresses looked. You could get a cocktail dress then you would wear it again!

College Roomie has a rockin' figure, looks great in all of them. I'm with you. I didn't grow up dreaming about weddings (I do now that I have been in several and am older) -- but I love pretty dresses. Can't stand shows like bridezilla but give me a marathon of say yes to the dress and im there!

Anonymous said...

I like option 2 and option 3 for bridesmaid dresses. Kind of leaning toward 3 because it's shiny. But 2 would probably match the groomsmen better (doubt that their vests are going to be shiny...). You'll be the hottest groomsma'am ever in whatever dress you choose.

And thanks to everyone for the votes and encouragement. :) Tough decision, but I'm focusing on the fact that I'll be just as married at the end of the day, regardless of what dress I'm wearing.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. I wasn't done.

That was me with the above Anon post. Obv.

-College Roomie

Britt Fisk said...

I love #3 and #4. However, I think #1 looks a lot like you too.

I like Grace and Mermaid for Amy. SO fun that you went with her...you guys are the best!

Micah said...

For you, I like Option 2 the best. Option 3 would be good too though.

For College Roomie, I like Grace the best.

JenD said...

#4 and Audrey!......I WIN! :)

Anonymous said...

My vote is for the Audry dress,but she's the bride so I guess she can pick......;)

As for the bridesmaid dress, I'm still loving #1 minus the price. I do however, love #6 AND the price!

-Shawna

Sami said...

I vote for one of the first 3! The chiffon fabric is much more flattering than anything that is shiny and/or satin. Just my extensive knowledge of fabrics speaking haha. Also I love one shoulder and strapless!

Annie said...

No1- Very pretty, however, I'm a big tactile person and judging from the picture I'm not sure about it tactily? speaking .. I know I'm weird.

No2- I really like this one!! Would be very cute if you could find a 'belt' with some kind of brooch on it to accessorize it! I think you are on the fence because it just needs to be accessorized!

No3 - Very simple and elegant.

No4- LOVE IT! I love the shine! AND I think it would be sliming and look great on you! :)

No5/6 - Sorry, Not feelin it.

So I think I'm going to have to root for 2 or 4. 2 just needs and accessory and I think they would both look amazing on you! :) Have fun deciding and keep us posted!!

Annie

Nicole said...

GRACE!

Anonymous said...


Number 5 in the truffle color is beautiful. It is good for winter wedding.

Grace is the one!

Just my opinion!

Mom

myesoul said...

buy lolita dresses
http://www.myesoul.com/Lolita-Dresses_l1