I don't blog about politics. Heck, I don't really even talk about politics. But in light of yesterday's election that completely polarized our country, I have this to say.
I've got friends who are as far right as you can get, and friends who are as far left as you can get. And I've got friends who, like me, fall somewhere in the middle. And all of those friends are good people. Over the course of the last few months, my facebook wall has been completely full of political debate, much of which centered on which candidate God would want us to vote for and what we, are Christians, are called to do in the voting booth. After months of reading, I have come to the following conclusion:
Neither candidate was running under the Jesus party. Both sides have some ideologies that line up with what Jesus called us to believe and to do, and both sides have other ideas that do not. In the end, I don't think Jesus would have been a Democrat or a Republican. He would have been Jesus. I think he would have done what was right, what he was called to do, regardless of whether it was blue or red, elephant or donkey, left or right.
![]() |
| Photo via |





14 comments:
Amen to that! All we are called to do is pray for those that are appointed as leaders in our lives. We have the right to vote but that doesn't mean we can abuse that privilege. Great post!
Preach it Sista! You said it well x
I've never been comfortable with praying for particular election results (nor with praying for the results of football matches, although it's not like I need to since God supports New Orleans and LSU). It seems to me that God can choose whoever he thinks will be the best tool for His purposes, and sometimes that might actually be a morally wicked person (Pope Alexander VI comes to mind), and it's really not up to us to second guess that.
Added to which, politics is an inherently dirty business, and sometimes people in office will, more or less inevitably, have to do some morally questionable things, because that's what the public weal requires. Making the Lord an accomplice to that sort of thing smells to me of blasphemy.
AMEN
I love you. I think what I was trying to say on my blog was summed up much more eloquently here. Hurrah :)
Perfect. Absolutely perfect! I'm sharing this with my boys today - thank you!!
Yes. Clearly your true calling is to become a professional mediator:)
PREACH!!!
Perfectly said my little sweetheart! I also am disappointed in the results, but I am also offended that I have seen some comments on my own facebook regarding race and remember that some people are going to find something ugly to say no matter what. I feel we just need to put our "big girl" panties on and make the best of it, and to remember "God Bless America" and He is the true Leader!!! Connie J
I like that church sign. I am not usually the type who thinks others should have my beliefs, but I think that if we were more focused some of the Christian beliefs that this country was founded on, things would be different.
I prayed with my family yesterday before the election for God to guide whoever wins, and after the election for God to guide President Obama. God's will be done. I'm going along for the ride.
Beautiful blog, Tiffany.
Zo
I just hate it when a young whipper-snapper is right....thanks...so there.
I just hate it when a young whipper-snapper is right....thanks...so there.
God is in charge, regardless of who works in the Oval Office.
(On a related note) Which we totally saw - live and in person. Thanks, Britt!
-College Roomie
Post a Comment