Thursday, June 6, 2013

Eastern European Adventure Part XI: Warsaw

After an amazing time in Krakow, I headed off to Warsaw.  I only had about 24 hours in the city, and honestly the only thing that I was set on seeing was Pildusky Square, where Pope John Paul II said the now famous Mass in 1979.  I accomplished my goal and more, and my love of Poland only continued in Warsaw.

Summary of Warsaw:   Beautiful, friendly, easy to get around, great churches.

Days 13 and 14:  May 14 and 15

Like Krakow, Warsaw has a beautiful old town square area.  This was the only leg of the trip for which I got a hotel rather than an apartment since I was only there for one night.  I highly recommend The Castle Inn, which is right in the middle of the square.  This was my view.  Not bad, huh??





One interesting fact about Warsaw is that nearly the entire town was destroyed during WWII.  So the "old town square" was actually built in the 1950's.  Krakow residents are quick to point this out and talk crap on Warsaw.  But I didn't care when it was built, I loved it!
There was a great photographic exhibition showing pictures of the destruction
after the war and comparing those photos to what Warsaw looks like now.

Me on my last morning in Europe.



Of course, I hit up lots of churches while I was there.  Unlike many of the other countries that I visited, these churches were open to all, there was no charge, and the people were really friendly.  Score one for Warsaw in my mind!

Sacred Heart altar at Holy Cross

Statue outside of Holy Cross

Mid-afternoon I made the short walk to my main destination: Pildusky Square.  For those of you who are not JPII junkies like myself, let me tell you a bit about why I wanted to come here.  In 1979, JPII came to communist Poland to speak.  It was his home country, and the country was in a painful, oppressed condition.  JPII presided over Mass in Pildusky Square before tens of thousands.  He spoke the following famous words:

"Let your Spirit descend.
Let your Spirit descend.
and renew the face of the earth,
the face of this land.
Amen."
 
"Be not afraid.  Fear not.  Be not afraid."
 

 -Pope John Paul II, 1979

And during the Mass, the people began to chant "We want God."  This continued on for over 10 minutes.  The video of it is quite amazing.  Many credit JPII, and this particular Mass, with beginning the downfall of communism in Eastern Europe.  So, of course, I had to get lots of pictures in the square.


Josef Pildusky who led the fight against Communism.

Representing the Pokes in Poland.

 



That night, I hung out in the square and enjoyed the beautiful weather, street performers and bands, beautiful buildings lit up, and an amazing pizza. I may or may not have also had ice cream for dessert.  Oops....

Stay tuned for tomorrow for my final thoughts on my 30th Birthday European Adventure!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Poland is so gorgeous! It looks like you're having a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and inspiring city! I can see from the pictures and your description why you would like it so much.

I have loved following along on your European adventures!

-College Roomie