Mrs. Arizona met College Roomie several years back and they became great friends. I didn't want to miss out on any of the fun, so I butted my way into her life as well. I'm so glad I did, because this girl is absolutely hilarious. She has one of those laughs that is infectious and is one of the most fun people I know. Want photo proof? Here ya go.
Here she is. Meet Mrs. Arizona.
Tell us your engagement story. {Because it's one of my absolute favorites.}
Oh, the engagement story...that is a good one. Ok, so my husband and I love to hike - it's one of the things we love about living in Arizona. He ordered these new hiking shoes and made a big deal about "Saturday, I want to try out my new hiking shoes so let's go hiking." Seriously, he REALLY wanted to try out these new shoes. So he wakes me up early Saturday (hey, 10:00 am is early for me on a Saturday) to go check out a new trail that he had tried alone before but wanted to hike with me. We go on this hike and it was brutal. I was pooped out not even half way. I finally collapsed in the middle of the trail and said "Ok, I'm done. Seriously, I can't finish this trail." I was so exhausted. Crying. Sweating like a pig...I was done with this hike. Much to my amazement, he said...No. Now, "no" was not a word I was used to him saying to me which totally threw me off guard. {I love the preceding sentence. LOVE!} But he said it, the word No. I threw some sort of a tantrum and cried a little more to try to make him change his mind. It did not work. We were near the saddle so I pressed on figuring that if I made it to the saddle we could call it a day. I would punish him with the silent treatment for the rest of the weekend. We reach the saddle. I collapse on the rocks, still crying mostly at this point out of frustration, not pain and I kid you not...less than 30 seconds later he said, "Honey, come here. Look at this thing that I found. Come here!" Now, I'm really angry. I mean, I just start to catch my breath and he wants me to get up AGAIN?! I just might push him down this mountain. So, I get up and there he is behind me down on one knee and I see this.
Let's just say, I felt like a schmuck, started crying again and of course the rest is history. I also made it to the top of the mountain after that. Funny how diamonds will give you that sudden burst of energy to finish a difficult hike...
Let's just say, I felt like a schmuck, started crying again and of course the rest is history. I also made it to the top of the mountain after that. Funny how diamonds will give you that sudden burst of energy to finish a difficult hike...
What's the best advice you have ever received?
Best advice I've ever received. This is an easy one. Since I was a young girl, my dad always told me "Never settle." I apply this to all aspect in my life; a job, a man, friendships, easy and difficult decisions...If you never settle, you'll never look back on something and think "Did I make the right choice?" {Amen, sister!}
You practice hot yoga. What is it you like so much about that? Actually, I practice Bikram Yoga. It's still hot yoga (106 degrees and 50% humidity) but it's a series patented by Bikram Choudhury. {You can see that I was never a very good yoga student...I have no idea if I did Bikram or something else. I just know it was freakin' hot!} There are two things I love about doing Bikram Yoga 1) the dialogue. All Bikram teachers say exactly the same 90 minute dialogue in class so you always know what you're going to get. It's part of why Bikram's yoga is patented. 2) the detoxifying effects of the yoga is my other favorite part. The heat and humidity pull all the yuck out of your body and brain. We live in such a stressful and toxic world. It's awesome to finish a class knowing that I've left all the yuck on my mat. I leave the studio feeling taller, stronger and lighter. Then I do it all again the next day. Plus, it's great for your skin.
What's the best trip you've ever been on? This one is easy, my honeymoon. I got to spend 10 beautiful days in Hawaii (half on Kauai and half on Oahu) with the man of my dreams. Now, my husband has to hear me talk about how much I want to live there, like a lot. I kinda won't shut up about it. Here's a pic of me surfing on Waikiki.
You did not meet your husband in your twenties. Tell us why you are glad about that fact.
This is something I feel strongly about. For ME getting married at 33 was a blessing in disguise. Now, let me preface this by saying that I obviously love being married but I'm so glad I was older when I found The One. I had my entire 20s to sow my oats and do all those soul-filling alone things like go to the park alone (or with your cat in my case), eat at your favorite restaurant alone, and just do anything you want alone whenever you want alone. It's incredibly empowering. Getting married when I was 30 something verses 20 something allowed me to experience the best of both of those worlds. As much as I didn't believe I would be grateful for that when I was in my late 20s and all my friends were getting married and I was getting scared that I would die alone with my cat, {this is a common fear, apparently!} I can now thank God for not letting me find The One when I was 25. My late 20s were the craziest, most memorable times of my life both professionally and personally. I wouldn't have traded those years for anything, even Mr. Arizona, if now given the chance. If I hadn't had those years, I simply wouldn't have been ready for him. {If people never take one thing said on this blog to heart, I hope that girls will listen to this. I swear this is something that I want to scream from the rooftops and preach, preach, preach go every girl from about age 15-30. Mrs. Arizona should write a book!}
Tell us about your wedding. My wedding was in Napa Valley. It was the first trip Mr. Arizona ever took me on when we were dating and we made it a frequent stop in the following few years. So, when we were thinking about where to tie the knot, it was an obvious choice. Our ceremony was at Gloria Ferrer in Sonoma and the reception was at Franciscan in St. Helena. We wanted something intimate and on the smaller side so we had under 40 people. We also really wanted our guests to enjoy themselves so we chose not to have a wedding party. That way, everyone could relax, drink wine and just be there with us in a casual way. {I have to admit that if I wanted a destination wedding, Napa would be high on my list of potential locations based on Joy's photos. It's beautiful there!}
Tell us about your wedding. My wedding was in Napa Valley. It was the first trip Mr. Arizona ever took me on when we were dating and we made it a frequent stop in the following few years. So, when we were thinking about where to tie the knot, it was an obvious choice. Our ceremony was at Gloria Ferrer in Sonoma and the reception was at Franciscan in St. Helena. We wanted something intimate and on the smaller side so we had under 40 people. We also really wanted our guests to enjoy themselves so we chose not to have a wedding party. That way, everyone could relax, drink wine and just be there with us in a casual way. {I have to admit that if I wanted a destination wedding, Napa would be high on my list of potential locations based on Joy's photos. It's beautiful there!}
What is the one thing you are most excited about having a baby (in the future...she's not pregnant....just to be clear)? What is the one thing that you are most scared about it?
The thing I'm most excited about when I think about the possibility of having a baby is the choice to raise a positive, caring, patient and loving human being. Oh, and also seeing Mr. Arizona do the same thing. And holding his own baby. And changing diapers. And carpooling. And getting up in the middle of the night to soothe his own child. I'm just going to sit by looking cute and supporting him. Kidding obviously. It's the partnership of raising a child that excites me the most. The thing I'm most scared about is failing. I think that's normal, though...right? {This question came up because at College Roomie's bachelorette party Mrs. Arizona and I were asking all the moms to tell us the things that people never tell you before you are pregnant. There were things that I will never be able to unhear. Mrs. Arizona was clearly less traumatized.}
What is one (or more) item(s) on your bucket list?
Mr. Arizona and I created a bucket list when we were discussing spending the rest of our lives together. {Best wedding idea ever!}
Here's a few highlights:
-Climb the highest peak in Arizona with Mr. Arizona.
-Save a life. (Hey, aim high, right?)
-Paint a self portrait.
-Learn to waltz.
-Visit Normay (I'm Norwegian and Swedish).
-Own a handgun and take a CCW (concealed carry weapons) class.
-Sing Fancy by Reba McEntire in a karaoke bar (I tried this once and well...let's just say I never went back to that bar). {I don't know why, because we were rockin' Fancy all day getting ready for College Roomie's wedding sister!}










5 comments:
Great questions and great answers! Love the wedding photo!
~LOKG
The engagement story is hilarious! Love the picture of her with her engagement ring-I actually laughed out loud a little at that...sorry :)
I've only spent one weekend with her but she is pretty dang memorable, isn't she! I love her engagement story and the bucket list! And the pictures of the two of you are soo cute.
It's official. I've made it to Meet The Cast Mondays. I would first like to thank College Roomie for bringing Tiff and I together. I first met Tiff at the airport. It was the weekend the Gossip Girls were in San Fran for a marathon and wine tasting in Napa. Mr. Arizona and I were there to scout wedding venues and anyone who knows Tiff will not be surprised to hear it was love at first sight. I mean, how can you NOT love Tiff immediately?Secondly I would like to thank College Roomie and Tiffany for having the absolutely most fun friends in the world. CR's bachelorette weekend was the most fun I've had on a girls trip ever in my entire life! I woke up with a stomach ache from laughing so hard. Can't wait to see all you crazy girls again for Tiff's 30th!
-Mrs. Arizona
She's my favorite. Just sayin'.
-College Roomie
Post a Comment