Monday, September 30, 2013

The Breakfast Club Meets The Boy From Texas

“Parker, I'm old," She said matter-of-factly. "I get away with these things." She continued to wave and smile wildly. "People treat me like an idiot so I'm allowed to act like one from time to time. It's one of the perks.”   ~    Abby Slovin, Letters In Cardboard Boxes

How I have not blogged about The Breakfast Club before is beyond me.  SERIOUS blogger failure.  But, it's all going to work out great because you'll get to read about The Club for the first time and hear all about them "meeting" The Boy from Texas for the first time as well.  And it was a riot.

So The Breakfast Club is made up of College Roomie's family living in Albuquerque.  They welcomed me into the ranks years ago.  The group ranges in size from about 6 to 10.  And ranges in age from about 21 to 80.  People come and go.  Sister L was part of it until she moved away.  Uncle Tom's new wife Virginia (one of the 80 year olds in the bunch) joined in recently. Every Sunday they meet promptly at 8:30 at one of a number of restaurants around town for breakfast.  Uncle Donald pays.  Aunt Jewel talks.  Uncle Tom is full of some random tidbit of trivia.  Everyone else just enjoys the fun.

So the week before I headed back for the State Fair, I got a Facebook message from Cousin Bob.  He wanted to "cordially invite" me and The Boy from Texas to attend The Breakfast Club on Sunday.  I gladly accepted.  But then, to everyone's disappointment, The Boy from Texas had to work and couldn't make it to the State Fair (and in turn, he missed The Breakfast Club.) 

I arrived and faced lots of questions about my new job/house/location.  Including a hilarious conversation where I said that I was doing "ag law" work.  All of the older folks passed that info around the table and the words "ag law" were said about 100 times.  It was hilarious.



But the most popular topic was The Boy from Texas.  Did he wear braces?  Does he have his wisdom teeth?  My favorite exchange went something like this:

"Does he have a job?"  Yes.

"Does he have all of his teeth?"  Yes.

"Does he have all of his hair?"  Um...no.

"Well two out of three ain't bad honey."

And then everything got crazy when Cousin Bob said, "Well just where is that Rat Bast***?  Can we Face Time?"  And so, it happened.  That sweet Boy from Texas Face Timed with The Breakfast Club.  Here's basically what happened.

He started with Aunt Jewel.  She looked at him and said, "Hey, you're almost as good looking as I am!"

Next up was College Roomie and McCain who were nice to him and just waved.  And then the three of them talked about how much they missed each other.  I really think if we break up, The Boy from Texas will go live with College Roomie and McCain.  They've bonded.

Then it was time for Uncle Tom and Virginia.  She looked closely at the phone and said, "Well you do have all of your teeth!"

Then the phone went to Uncle Donald who was a bit mortified.  He apologized to The Boy from Texas and said, "If you guys break up this afternoon, I understand and I'm sorry."  Then he passed the phone.

Finally it was time for Cousin Bob.  "Exactly why are you not here at The Breakfast Club, we do not approve of unexcused absences."  Apparently his answer was good enough because Bob lightened up and said that he would withhold judgment on our relationship until he can meet The Boy from Texas the next time we're in town. 

Phew.  Close call.  And he's got all his teeth and a job.  Two out of three ain't bad, honey!

4 comments:

RobynBeazley said...

Absolutely hilarious!!! Poor Tex :) I'm super excited to meet him one day.

Anonymous said...

And yet another reason that TBFT is a keeper. He proved Uncle Donald wrong and there was no breakup. He's such a good sport!

-College Roomie

Britt Fisk said...

This is way too funny!! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

Katy Robertson said...

For the record, I think teeth and job are more important than hair. Its hard to eat or afford to eat without those two requirements.

No hair just means you have to wear a cap or sunscreen on your head when its really hot.

NO BIG DEAL.