Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What Lasts Forever

"I have found the one whom my soul loves."  ~Song of Solomon 3:4

I tried on wedding dresses last week.  I was comparing two dresses and the girl kept saying, "Choose the one you really like, these pictures will last forever" and "Think about your pictures, they will last forever."

It was all I could do to keep from yelling at her.  I just kept thinking, "It's not the pictures that should last forever....it's the marriage!"



Somehow, society has managed to get so caught up in the wedding hoopla--the dresses and flowers and Pinterest projects and cake toppers--that we forget the point of all this.  It's not about perfectly posed photos or fancy appetizers or hand beaded veils.  It's not about the wedding, it's about the marriage.  Perhaps because we have forgotten this truth is why people go into crazy debt planning a wedding and the divorce rate in this country is through the roof.  We are focused on the wrong thing.

All of the details are beans compared to the fact that in 4 months, The Boy from Texas and I will be making vows--a covenant with each other and with God--that our relationship will last forever.  That we will love each other, even when we might not feel like it.  That we will honor each other, even when one of us (probably me) is being a jerk.  That we will support each other even when one (probably me) of us has a crazy idea.  That we will help each other follow God's calling for our lives.  That we will help the other get to Heaven.

That's the part that matters.  That's what's supposed to last forever.  It's not the pictures, it's the marriage.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

YES!

Jen@Almost Gypsy Soul said...

nail on the head! and you will look amazing in whatever dress you end up with!

The Seidel Six said...

"That we will help each other get to Heaven" - what a great line!!! I don't know if I've ever thought of it that way! Congratulations again--so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

So true! Whenever I started to get overwhelmed by the mass and volume and magnitude of all the wedding STUFF that is out there, I would stop and ask myself, "Am I marrying the right guy?" And answering yes to that question would always calm me down and put things into perspective. The wedding doesn't matter. The people and the promise do.

-College Roomie

Rozann said...

Awesome post (as always)!! I just love you and Boy From Texas.

Brianne said...

Thank you for saying this. I feel like so many people get married just so they can have the big day, when in reality, that small day is nothing compared to the lifetime you will/should be spending with that person.

That being said, hope the planning goes well!

Unknown said...

Brought tears to my eyes! Right on sister-friend you got it! I say chose the dress that compliments your personality all the whole is comfortable to boogie in. You gotta be you. You and I both know discomfort is not you. Too bad they don't make white lace yoga pants...I'm kidding, maybe.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I hate society's emphasis on the wedding. I know a couple who dated for seven years, spent almost $30,000 on the wedding, and got divorced after a year. My parents dated for three months, eloped in their blue jeans, and have now been together for thirty-one years.