Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Missing It



"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching." ~St. Francis of Assisi

On the way home from our honeymoon,  we had one last flight from Dallas to Amarillo.  We missed it.

We were delayed out of Calgary, ran across the airport, and while the plane was still there the gate was closed and we could not get on. Turns out, no one gave the gate agent a heads up we were on our way.  

I was sweaty.  I had been up since 3:00 am. I just lugged two jackets, a sweater, and a trash bag full of boots (which I refused to put in the checked baggage because we would have been over the weight limit and had to pay $100 extra) across the airport.  I was tired.  I wanted to be home.  I hadn’t gotten to take a shower that morning.  I was annoyed.  And I screamed (loudly) a curse word right in the middle of that airport.

Almost immediately, I regretted my outburst.  It was no one’s fault we missed the flight.  We had nothing we were rushing to get to.  The pilots had gotten us safely out of a snow storm into Dallas.  We got re-booked on a flight that left an hour and a half later. No harm, no foul.

All I could think about was a saying I have probably heard 100 times.  “You may be the only Bible some people ever read; you may be the only Jesus some people ever see.”  Well, I sure didn’t look like anything you’d find in the Bible as I was having a fit in that airport.  I didn’t reflect Jesus with my actions or my words.  Nothing I did was kind or patient or loving.  Nothing indicated I even knew Jesus, much less am here to live my life in accordance with His purpose.  

Photo via Britt Fisk

In my selfishness, I missed it.  Not just the flight, but the chance to plant a seed that might have eventually lead someone to salvation.  And the even more concerning question…..what if this was not the first time that has happened?   I may be missing it more than I’d like to admit.  

And so now, I am making a more conscious effort to curb my selfish whining and to find a way to show others what following Jesus means.  As He does, God is giving me lots of opportunities to do so.  When I was the first person on the scene of a car accident on Sunday, I ran over to help the bloody victim, despite my complete inability to handle blood.  Jesus would have run.  When a little girl screamed literally the entire 2.5 hour flight to Washington DC, I assured her frazzled and embarrassed parents that it was okay.  Jesus would have comforted.  When I passed a beggar on the street, I looked him in the eye, gave him some money, and told him I would pray for him.  Jesus would have seen.

I've got to do better.  I could overcome missing the flight, but not missing my purpose.

4 comments:

Brianne said...

You are such a truly amazing person. Having an off moment such as your one at the airport only makes you human. Glad you were able to get a flight out not that much later.

Sean said...

She's my cousin and I have some of those same good qualities and oh how I am so patient. :)

Surelia Dev said...

Bamboo is a wonder plant by all accounts. It uses include erosion control, watershed protection, soil remediation, and environmental greening
Farm Plots in Hyderabad
Plots in Hyderabad
Residential Plots in Hyderabad
Huda Plots in Hyderabad
dlf Plots in Hyderabad

Crystal Cattle said...

This is a fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to work on doing better too.
www.crystalcattle.com