Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Newlywed in the Kitchen Recipe #4: Tex-Mex Chicken Fiesta

The Boy from Texas has been talking about a chicken, cheese, and rice recipe that his mom makes for a couple of weeks.  My mother in law was so kind as to share her recipe and I whipped this baby up on Sunday night.  It's super quick, easy, and it was really good.  To me, it tastes like Spanish rice with chicken and cheese.  All good things.  Anyway, here we go with the fourth recipe in our little series.

The Boy from Texas Rating:  4 stars.

The Boy from Texas Comments:  (1) *I suggested maybe we could add some vegetable...like spinach or broccoli.*  "Don't you dare add any vegetables this.  If you do that, I won't eat it."  {This is likely a foreshadowing of an argument I will have with a kid one day...}  (2) I mean, it's really healthy, except for the cheese.  (3) You could wrap this in a tortilla and really have something.  {This is just a standard comment with every meal I make apparently.}

Tex-Mex Chicken Fiesta
 
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10.75 oz)
3/4 cup cold water
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 cups Minute Rice
2 cups chopped cooked chicken  {I just bought chicken breast, chopped it up, and cooked it with some garlic salt and pepper.}
Diced green chile  {As I mentioned before, I don't really measure how much, I just eyeball green chile.  It's in my genes.  I counted tonight though, and I diced up 4 chiles.  My mother in law uses a small can of green chile.}
2 cups shredded mixed cheese (cheddar and Monterrey jack)
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Mix together soup, water, chili powder, cumin in large sauce pan.  Cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
 
Add all remaining ingredients except 1 cup of cheese.
 
Spoon mixture into 10 x 6 baking dish.  {I sprayed mine with Pam.  Habit.}
 
Top with remaining cheese.
 
Bake for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 
 
Serve with sour cream, salsa, and cilantro if desired.
 


No comments: