Friday, November 6, 2009

Don't sit by me.....GUEST BLOG by Connie J!

"Common sense is not so common." ~Voltaire

I'm super excited about this week's guest blogger....Connie J! She is one of the funniest ladies you'll ever meet. She was one of the office ladies at my high school and let me tell you, she ran that school! Everyone loves her and I think we would all read her blog if she started one! When she said she'd do a guest blog, I was super excited to see what she'd have to rant about. She didn't let me down.
So......here's Connie!


Tiffany stole my thunder by already talking about cell phones…but I’m going ahead with it anyway…

Is everybody who goes to church, the movies, a wedding, a funeral, school….so important that they can’t leave their cell phones off for ONE hour? Are we all heart surgeons on call, the governor, the president, etc….that we can’t be out of touch with everyone for just a little while?

I have been highly disturbed recently at a funeral when the same guy’s phone rang not once, but twice during the service. I’ve paid actual money to go to a movie and I want to slap the lady whose phone rings five times. I’ve been at bingo for goodness sake, when you know the people in there are not lawyers and doctors and prison wardens waiting for the reprieve from the governor (some may be future prisoners however) and they have their Bluetooth headset on and they just receive all the phone calls….oh my gosh!


I remember the time when we would drive miles across the country, heck sometimes I even went by myself, and never thought about not being able to contact my friends, co-workers or family until I got to the next town where there was a pay phone. I remember going to church and never worried about not getting a message from my mother about the dog’s appointment at the groomer or how she is out of beans, could I please bring her some on my way home.

I remember going to school for 12 years (and that was a long time ago!) and not once did I feel the need, or even know of the existence of, a cell phone. If I needed to call my mom I went to the office and asked to use the phone, AND it better be pretty dang important or I could just march myself right back to class, and why did my teacher let me out in the first place!!!??? I remember going to school meetings in Albuquerque where they didn’t feel the need to ask “professional” people to please turn off their cell phones during the meeting—they shouldn’t have to ask!

When you go to Allsups or McDonalds and the brain surgeon behind the counter can’t stop texting or talking to take your money, tell me you don’t have the same issues… Technology is indeed a wonderful thing, but there are limits to my patience about it. I do not have an answering machine, and don’t have voice mail on my cell phone. Yes, I do have a cell phone and am as bad as most people about carrying it. I do, however, turn it off when the occasion calls for it to be off.

So don’t sit next to me at the movies or the funeral or the wedding…..because if your cell phone rings I will slap you.

2 comments:

~Micah said...

I did not read this when posted...but I LOVE it! Connie, are you really playing BINGO on a regular basis and do the people at BINGO really have cell phone issues? (I have heard from a friend that BINGO gets pretty intense in Amarillo!) Thanks for the guest blog! Hang in there...but if you do happen to slap someone...please...let me know, I want to hear that story!

Anonymous said...

we have on this web site you can see a huge range of articles about smart [url=http://title-publishing.org/]новости интернета сегодня[/url].