Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Miss Independent

“A woman is like a tea bag, you can not tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” ~Nancy Reagan


I like to think of myself as being a pretty independent girl. I'm a single twenty-something living on my own, paying my own bills, making my own money, and making my own decisions. There's not a lot of things I feel like I can't handle.


I had a moment last weekend with my dryer that made me wonder.....Why is it when a home maintainence issue arises, the first thing I think of is "I need a boyfriend for things like this." That's a problem!


So, as part of my Happiness Project (there will be plenty to report when May is over!), I was cleaning out my laundry room. Once I dug back to the back, I find that the little tube thing (yes, that's the technical term) that takes the lent and whatever else from the dryer out of the house had come loose from the wall. Lent had been sprayed ALL OVER the walls and floor. On top of that, I had two bottles of distilled water that had somehow gotten holes in them and were leaking everywhere.

I threw my hands up, and went to my boyfriend thought. Then, I went to my, I at least need the Animal House boys from college to live closer to come fix these things. I racked my brain through my law school guy friends and decided that I am pretty sure I'm more mechanical than they are. I called my dad to complain.


After all of this nonsense.....I put my big girl pants on and went to work. I fixed the hose and the clamp. I hauled all of the boxed andshelves out of the room. I cleaned and moved and organized everything. And you know what? There wasn't a boy in sight.


Even when we think of ourselves as being independent girls, sometimes we revert right to the damsel in distress feeling. There's something good about a little reminder from the world that we can do things ourselves!

No comments: