Thursday, May 27, 2010

Throwback Thursday #22: Tables and Snakes

“The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us.” ~Ashley Montagu

I've decided, yet again, to make a little change to Throwback Thursdays. Instead of having a set topic (like Europe or San Francisco) to write on, I'm going to just think back to random funny stories each week, regardless of whent hey happened. We'll start when I was 9 years old.

When my grandma passed away, part of my family from Tennessee came out west for the funeral. This included my cousin, who we'll call Swiss Mister (get it? Like Swiss Miss, but he's a boy?) who was probably about 21 or so at the time. Swiss Mister was a straight up city boy. He didn't wear boot cut jeans, was scared to death of horses and didn't like to get dirty. My tomboy self, at 9 years old, couldn't figure this guy out!

Anyway, one night another cousin, Swiss Mister and I went to my house to feed my show lambs. The WHOLE TIME we were outside, Swiss Mister kept asking if there were snakes, if we ever saw any snakes, if we knew how to kill snakes, etc. We went into our lambing barn to get some hay. Out of nowhere, a little garter snake slithers across the ground right in front of Swiss Mister.

Now, just to get this straight, I hate snakes. Hate them, hate them, hate them. All of them. My dad says there's no such thing as a good snake, but a dead one is not quite as bad as a live one. I buy that. But for some reason, this story still cracks me up.

Swiss Mister flips out. He starts screaming like a little girl and runs across the barn to this little Fisher Price plastic tea party table we had in there at the time. He jumps on the table, jumps up and down, continuing to scream. Picture this 6'2, 21 year old guy jumping up and down on this tiny table. My other cousin and I are laughing so hard we can't do anything to try and kill the snake. We're on the ground rolling.

Poor Swiss Mister stood on the table the rest of the night while we were feeding. When it was time to leave, he grabbed me by the arm for us to walk out together to the car, where my other cousin was waiting. We get about halfway there and she honks the horn. Swiss Mister flips out again, jumps like 10 feet in the air and goes back to screaming.

Sometimes, there are stories that you will just never live down. Sorry for you, Swiss Mister, this is that kind of story!

2 comments:

Sean said...

For the record, Swiss Mister is terrified of snakes. The situation you describe was tramatic. Prior to my next visit, I want to request a full sweeping of the property for all snakes. Thanks in advance. :)

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry.....but surely 15 years later, you can at least see the humor.