Well today I decided to blog about a recent New York Times article that caught my attention.
Before you think, "Wow, she's super sophisticated reading the Times every morning" I have a confession to make. I don't read it. In fact, I don't read any newspaper. Unless you count my brief skim of the first page an my quick review of the Sports section of our local paper that is on the reception desk at the office. I only learned about this because one of the partners at work was talking about it. Sigh. I really need to grow up and become more intellectual.


But I digress. Anyway, the article talked about how people who spend money on material things (i.e. a new tv or a new couch or a new car) will enjoy those items far less than people who spend money on experiences (i.e. a vacation or taking some sort of lessons or class). At least for me, that's completely true.

Now, I'll admit, I am not your typical girl. I don't like shopping. In fact, I hate it. And I don't own 57 choach purses. In fact, I own two total. From Payless and Target. I tell you this so that you understand, some girls who really enjoy the shopping thing probably do get more of a thrill over buying stuff and spending money on material possessions than a girl like me.
I'd much rather take a trip somewhere. I don't really know where this travel bug came from. My parents don't like to travel. Growing up, we didn't travel much. In high school I was lucky to be able to travel to a lot of national judging contests all over the midwest (Wisconsin, Kansas City, Kentucky, Oklahoma City, Las Cruces...) but those really weren't vacations.
For some reason, once I got to college, the travel bug was in full swing. And now, I'm completely infected. I absolutely love finding a place that I want to go, saving up and then planning a trip there. I love seeing different people and different ways of life and different things. I think it's awesome to see places and experience things that I never expected to be able to do, or that I figured I would only see on tv. My bucket list is jam packed with places and events that I want to see in person.
The world is a huge place.....and I plan to see as much as I can while I am here! I don't know about you, but that sure sounds better than a new couch to me!




2 comments:
Now I do love to shop, but I too love to travel. Now that I have completed my Australia trip I am starting to think about where I will go next!
www.cdycattle.blogspot.com
Oh your Australia trip sounded AMAZING! I'm jealous and may be adding that country to my list! :)
Post a Comment