Lat week, one of the Christian radio stations that I listen to, K-LOVE, held an event called "Thanksgiving 4 Africa." The pledge drive was collecting money to buy food for the people of Niger or other countries suffering from a severe drought in western Africa. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are literally starvin to death. There were donors who agreed to multiply every gift given by 4. I saw this as a great opportunity to give and to make a difference.
One of the listeners wrote to the morning show and criticized Thanksgiving 4 Africa. Her point was that there are plenty of people who are hungry and struggling in America, so she did not think that it was right to be sending money and food elsewhere.I have to tell you....this issue has bothered me ever sense. I've struggled with it and prayed about it. I certainly understand her point. There are people in the US who need our help, and we all too often turn our backs. But I understand the fact that there are people dying in Western Africa every day as well. Who should we donate our money to? Who do we help? Whose life do we save? Is there a right answer?
I think that maybe God leads us to where it is that he intends us to help. So maybe the woman who feels so strongly lead to donate only to people in the US is intended to give and help people here. Maybe people who feel strongly called to reach out to people in other countries are intended to do that as well.
I think that the bottom line is that God loves everyone, regardless of where they live. So it seems to make sense to me that God would call people to help everywhere. I have written before that it is my prayer that God will break my heart for the things that break His. Maybe if everyone prays this prayer, and then follows their hearts, God will provide help to people everywhere.
By the way, the quote for this blog came from a wonderful song....check it out!




2 comments:
I liked your perspective on this quite a bit! I agree that all God's people means an encompassing "all". Just like with all discrimination, we shouldn't see color of skins, ethnicity, or location; we should see people in need and help where we can and where we are passionate to give. If everyone just gave a little to *whatever* their cause of choice was, imagine the things we could accomplish!
Thanks, Kristin! I was surprised at how much the whole situation got me thinking.....it was one of those things where I could understand both sides and I felt like both sides truly beleived that they were doing what God wanted them to do. Which is what eventually led me to my conclusion I guess.
Post a Comment