"She'd rather wear a pair of cutoff jeans than an fancy evening dress..." ~Brad Paisley, Old Alabama
As you guys know, I did a crisis preventing trip last weekend and attended the Virginia Gold Cup Steeplechase in The Plains, Virginia with my friend Mrs. Top Gun. I'm going to divide my report up into three parts (yes, Mom and Loud Oklahoma Girl, that means no Family Farm Friday this week.....you can whine now). We'll start the day off with fashion. Those of y'all who know me in real life are probably sitting there with your jaws dropped thinking to yourselves, "SHE is writing a FASHION post?!?" Well yes I am!
To try and gain some street cred here, I figured I'd share what I wore. I was a little nervous about the hat (due to a prior traumatic experience) but I think it all worked out okay. My goal was to look good enough not to get kicked out---I went very middle of the road. If this were the Oscars, I wouldn't have made either the best or worst dressed list, and I'm good with that!
The Belles
For the ladies, it was all about the hats. There were hats as far as they eye could see..... (please read this in your best Bubba Gump voice).....There were:
Flat hats...
Floppy hats...
Flower pot hats... Straw hats...
Big ugly bow hats....
Crazy hats...
Curtain-looking hats...Black and white hats....
Red hats...
Rose garden hats...
Box shaped hats...Big puffy fake flower hats...
and I guess that's about it. :)
The Gentlemen
Now, y'all know I do love me a southern boy. Seriously, you get me someone with an accent who calls me ma'am and my heart melts all over the floor. However, I was not quite prepared for the southern man's steeplechase wardrobe!
We'll start off with a kilt (of which there were multiple)
And follow with the most popular look of the day...seersucker suits. This dude added a bowtie. Nice touch.

Silk print pants. This might have been the most shocking look of the day.
And we'll finish off with this guy. My secertary asked if it was Richard Simmons. Alas, it was not. I have no idea why he wore this, but we all love America, so it was okay.
Little Ones
Little Ones
Lest you worry about there being future generations to carry on the traditions...fear not! I think they have it under control!
Oh yea, one last thing. I am probably going to get arrested for snapping pictures of random people one day, so if you see a few days without blogs, you might want to check up on me and start gathering up bail money. Thanks in advance.




7 comments:
Talladega Nights! I win, I win! I also like the Bagger Vance reference. But my favorite part was when I got to read about all the hats in my best Bubba voice.
Very cool fashion! And you looked gorgeous! You'd be on my best dressed list. :)
-College Roomie
LOVE all the hats! Thanks for the pics.
Very stylish look! Working in the Jockey Club the past several summers, I have gotten to see lots of peoples' takes on racetrack fashion...think my least favorite is the short short dresses with tall boots or anything with fur in summer. The little old ladies dripping in diamonds are my favorites!
oh my gosh...look at all those crazy hats! how fun :)
Love that you quoted Talladega Nights! Or, the movie that my husband just calls Ricky Bobby.
How cool! What crazy fun hats (:
One of my favorite things about horse racing are the hats! At most SEC schools, the girls really dress up for football games, too, which I love. I love to see different fashions!
Post a Comment