If you ask me, I couldn't have picked a better way to wrap up this series. Had I somehow realized 9 1/2 years ago when I was asking these questions, I wouldn't always be able to walk next door and pick Gran's brain, I would have asked so many more things. Remember that, and don't take it for granted with the people in your life.
Okay, here we go. You guys have read about my Gran here and here and here. But I saved the best for last. If you knew Gran, you will read this and hear her come right through. I've been told several times that I remind people of her. I don't think I could get a better compliment. I think you'll see why.
What are some of the most important things you’ve learned in your life?
Oh, be honest. Well, when my husband died, I learned to cope. And I didn’t know that I’d be able to. And I’m very proud of myself for going ahead with keeping everything and raising the boys, and managing as well as I have. {Love being from a line of strong women. You've read about that before here.}
Oh, be honest. Well, when my husband died, I learned to cope. And I didn’t know that I’d be able to. And I’m very proud of myself for going ahead with keeping everything and raising the boys, and managing as well as I have. {Love being from a line of strong women. You've read about that before here.}
What was you say was your most significant accomplishment?
Well, I guess teaching for 30 years. I did teach, well I was home agent in Roswell, and that’s considered teaching, and that was a very good job in Chavez County and I liked it very much. Then I worked in a school lunch program, and then back in, well, when my husband was called into service during the Korean War, he was stationed in San Antonio, so I got a job teaching there, home economics, and if I hadn’t gotten that job, I wouldn’t have had the money to stay down there. So that was more experience. So then when I went back to work I taught in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades, and I liked that much better than teaching in high school and I just really liked the kids. They were respectful and pretty honest about doing their work.
What’s one thing that you never got to do that you wish you could do now?Well, I would have taken more trips. {Think the travel bug is genetic?} Now I have a little arthritis and I don’t feel that safe traveling too much, but I should have taken more when I was younger. One place I would have liked to have gone was Australia. I always wanted to go down there, it’s such a long ways, but I’ve read many books about Australia, I’ve always wanted to go there. I like their English brogue. {Dear Gran, if could help orchestrate me meeting a really cute boy with an English brogue, that would be awesome....just a thought.}
What is the one thing that you’re the most proud of? Learning to manage on my own. I don’t have to anymore, but I did back after my husband died and I’m just proud of the fact that I got through that. {Think independence might be genetic too?}
What have been some of the happiest moments in your life?Oh, one was when I graduated from college. That was a long four years. And then the end of World War II, I didn’t lose many people, lost some in my senior class, but none of my family anyway. And I kinda live through my grandkids. I have 4. Two in San Angelo and two living next door, so I keep up with all their business all I can, and enjoy their achievements and awards and I’m just living good through them. {It was great having her at our events. FFA banquents, speech contests, sheep shows, homecoming courts...she was always there cheering us on. In fact, once she almost got into a fight with another grandma who was talking trash. It was a proud moment.}
What’s your philosophy for life, or what advice would you give somebody for living a good life?Well I don’t know about philosophy. I just know you need to enjoy life because it goes by very fast, and you get a good feeling doing things for other people, and as some authors say, that’s a selfish reason for doing things, because it makes you feel good, but it goes both ways. And just enjoy yourself because I’ve really had a fine life and am still enjoying it today. {Amen.}




6 comments:
These are priceless memories and I am so glad you have them today. What a great way to remember your Gran.
BOKG
Love this post! Your Gran was an amazing women and I am so glad you have all the memories to remember her by!
~LOKG
This is so sweet. Great post.
Oh my goodness, your grandmother is so sweet. There is so much to learn about people who have been on this earth for so many more years than we have been!!! She sounds like she had an amazing head on her shoulders!!
Love this!! How special!
Reading this has brought back so many fond memories of your Gran. Well...they weren't so fond when Rusty told her my cigarettes were in his sweatshirt pocket. She was washing and found them. She got on me as much as the boys!!! Well, your dad anyway. I loved this woman and you're very lucky to have had such a strong woman in your life.
Post a Comment