Monday, July 16, 2012

Becoming My Hero

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." -Elmer Davis

Today is a big day in our family.  My "little" cousin enlisted in the Army to serve our country.  Today, Soldier Cousin leaves for Basic Training. 
It's in his blood.  We've had at least one, often more, person in each generation serve in the military since the Revolutionary War.  Soldier Cousin carries on the tradition for our generation.

So today we're all sort of a big ball or emotions--pride and fear and sadness and anticipation and joy.  I'd ask that you all say a prayer for Soldier Cousin as he embarks on this next chapter in his life, and for all of the men and women in our armed forces.

Dear Soldier Cousin,

It seems like yesterday you were a little bitty kid running around at Family Thanksgiving.  Over the years I've watched you play hair salon and trucks and baseball with little kids, stick up for the underdog, do what's right, overcome obstacles, and have a lot of fun along the way.  You're going places--big ones--and I can't wait to watch you enjoy the ride!

18 years ago, you became my cousin.  In the last couple years, you've become my buddy.  Today, you are becoming my hero.  I could not be more proud of you.  Love you, kiddo!

~Tiffany

8 comments:

Lyndse said...

Big day for him indeed!! Good luck to him on his endeavors...and a big Thank You to him for serving our country. He'll be one heck of a solider it sounds like :)

Anonymous said...

Tiff, so sweet and kind! Prayers are going up for him now. Thank you to little cousin if it was not for Americans like you we would not be free! Hugs and love going your way and your family's way.

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

Tiff, good blog as usual....please tell your cousin he is also the hero of all of us...Thanks for your service Cousin! Conniej

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your service, Soldier Cousin! You and those like you are the very definition of hero.

-College Roomie

Nicole said...

Definitely saying a prayer for him today! My brother just graduated from Basic Training on June 28th. Let me tell you, he went there a boy, and came out a man.

Make sure you write him lots of letters, because that really does help them. These first 6 weeks are going to be TOUGH on him physically and mentally. Just keep encouraging him!

Alex Graham said...

Go KC!!!!!

Angel Aldama said...

Big shout to my bro Kaso without you or your family bro I would probably be dead or in prison your family didnt judge but seen something in me that I didnt and I love you and your family for that Im Always here for you bro no matter the cost bro wish I was right by your side..

Megan G. said...

Wow, since the Revolutionary War?! That's a pretty good tradition! Sending my good thoughts and prayers to him for Basic!