Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Never Finer

“This town of churches and dreams; this town I thought I would lose myself in, with its backward ways and winding roads leading to nowhere; but, I found myself instead." ~Kellie Elmore

A tiny white church sitting at the top of a hill overflows with people.  Men standing outside in cowboy hats and boots.  Women sitting in the pews with their hair poofed and their pearls on.  Flower arrangements fill the window sills.  Old, familiar songs drift out the open door.  How Great Thou Art.  Old Rugged Cross.  Amazing Grace.

Most Sundays, the people inside go to various churches.  But today, no one notices the differences.  Methodist or Catholic, Baptist or Mormon, Epsicopalian or Assemblies of God.  Today, everyone sits together.  They hug each other as they walk in and say the Our Father in unison.  Differences matter not.  They mourn together, they pray together, and they remember together.
Photo via
And then at the quiet, country cemetery, everyone gathers around a grave.  The sun beats down and the ranchers talk about rain, or the last basketball season, or the last time that they all stood in the same cemetery around a different grave.  Because this same community has been here before and will be here again.  Together.

Once the prayers have been prayed and Taps has been played, they load up into their pickup trucks and drive to the old school building for lunch.  Because if there is one thing that small town ladies do right, its a funeral meal.  A spread big enough to feed an army sits out on tables that span the width of the basketball court. And here, people recognize the different dishes based on the cooks.  "Oh, that's Mary's chocolate cake" or "Those look like Pam's enchilladas."  And before the meal, the men remove their hats, the kids put down the basketball, and the priest blesses the food.  Because that's how you start a meal.

Small towns are not for everyone.  There are no fancy restaurants.  You have to drive two hours to the nearest Wal-Mart.  A lot of people there have never flown on an airplane or seen the ocean or owned a passport. 

But they know the meaning of neighbors, and of community, and of love.  And they show it when times get hard.  And if you ask me, small towns are never finer than in these moments.

*Linking up with Rural Thursday.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good! Home. It sounds like home. And what a way to live.

-College Roomie

JenD said...

Another excellant post! We lost a rancher from a small community that my office serves yesterday, rolled over by a tractor. This church that you write about will be exactly like this for this community in just a few days. I love small towns and community love this this....we need more small towns and small town folks in this world if you ask me.

Katy Robertson said...

So true.

Although in my small town, most people have flown in an airplane and many have travelled internationally.

But the personality of small towns and even small cities is wonderful-- willing to help those in need, willing to stick by you, a focus on whats important!

Anonymous said...

Awe love it Tiff! Great post!

Myranda

Nicole said...

Yep, sounds like home to me :) Oh wait, it is! I literally have a small white church on a hill, looking out the front window of my house.

Anonymous said...

Love! You brought some tears to my eyes today! This sounds just like home to me and I would not change it for the world. Even though I did not write this it reminds me of that home I grew up in and that small town that laid my father to rest :)

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

This is very beautiful and well written. It describes my brother's funeral very well. Thank you.

Jeans and a Teacup said...

Beautiful post! I grew up in a small town and it's not for me...I prefer the city. But you have highlighted all the great things about small towns that I sometimes forget!
~Jessica
http://jeansandateacup.blogspot.com/

Megan G. said...

Ahh, this made me tear up a little! Simply beautiful and so very true. <3

Anonymous said...

Perfect! You make me want to go give my little one-flashing-light town the biggest,warmest hug possible. Good one! -Bri

Elle-Bo said...

You made me tear up, Tiff. It's so beautifully written. Thank you.

JR Pittman said...

Had to leave a comment after Elle-Bo sent me over. I didn't grow up in a small town, but live next to one now, and count it as one of my life's biggest blessings. I appreciate it and thank God he snuck me in here in this life. Great post, captures the universal small town essence.

Brandi said...

Sounds like a wonderful town full of love and support...beautiful post!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Sounds like a neat place. Love the little church picture!

Lisa Lynn said...

Sounds like my home town too :) I miss the tight knit community.

Anonymous said...

We did get a Walmart this year. I hate to admit I kinda like some aspects of it.