Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What I'm Loving Wednesday

This last week I've stumbled across a ton of blogs and quotes that I really enjoyed.  I figured I'd share today!

1.  This blog that includes a letter from a mom to her third grade son.  If we would all just do as this mama advises, the world would be so much better.  Here is my favorite part:

We do not care if you are the smartest or fastest or coolest or funniest. There will be lots of contests at school, and we don't care if you win a single one of them. We don't care if you get straight As. We don't care if the girls think you're cute or whether you're picked first or last for kickball at recess. We don't care if you are your teacher's favorite or not. We don't care if you have the best clothes or most Pokemon cards or coolest gadgets. We just don't care.

We don't send you to school to become the best at anything at all. We already love you as much as we possibly could. You do not have to earn our love or pride and you can't lose it. That's done.
We send you to school to practice being brave and kind.

Kind people are brave people. Brave is not a feeling that you should wait for. It is a decision. It is a decision that compassion is more important than fear, than fitting in, than following the crowd.

2.  This quote:  “You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.” - Jim Rohn  I'm a firm believer in this.  When you surround yourself with good people, you become better.  If you have people around you who are negative or who pull you down, you're going to become more and more like them.  Find the good ones!

3.  This blog by Miss Rachel.  She compares her attitude about wanting a husband and a white picket fence and a fairy tale ending now--right now--to a little kid throwing a crying, kicking, screaming fit in the grocery store.  And if I'm honest, I too often act just like that little kid squirming around on the floor.  I want things now.  Answers.  Open doors.  Easy paths.  It's hard to remember that we have to trust in Him.  Which includes trusting in His timing.

4.  This blog that contains advice to college students.  I am absolutely in love with the following quote:  "I know nothing. But here’s the truth - none of us do. So at some point we must make a leap of faith. We leap anytime we make a decision. We leap when we choose to enter into a relationship, we leap when we pick a college, we leap when we get out of bed in the morning. We are not guaranteed an ending but we weigh the odds, we take our chances, and we leap. My only advice to you is to leap towards love. When I have done so I have found I tend to land in good places."

5.  .  This video of a speech given by Ashton Kutcher.   "The sexiest things in the world is being really smart and being thoughtful and being generous. Everything else is crap. It's just crap that people try to sell to you to make you feel like less. So don't buy it."


3 comments:

Britt Fisk said...

Tiff, these are all so good! You always send inspiration right when we need it most!

Anonymous said...

Ashton is right. I was flipping through the most recent Glamour magazine yesterday and realized 99.9% of what I paid to look at and read was strictly about how I should buy something to change me. I'm sitting there thinking a) am I really that hideous that I need all this crap and b) no, actually I am fine just the way I am and I don't need any of this stuff. It's our minds that need improvement, not our bodies. Why isn't there a mag for that?
-Mrs Arizona

Nicole said...

I loved Ashton's speech...SO good and what so many kids need to hear. And I am in love with #1 :)