Monday, October 28, 2013

He's Never Run Through An Airport For Me

"He's never run through an airport for me.  But this ordinary, remarkable love walks slowly every day alongside."  ~Lisa Jo Baker

I'm going to confess it now.  I love a good romantic comedy.  The guy finds the girl that everyone else overlooked and sweeps her off her feet.  The girl has to chose between two equally great men and picks the underdog.  The girl hires a date to make her ex-boyfriend jealous and he rocks out halfway through the movie with the line, "I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met."  Sigh.

So when I stumbled across this blog called, "When you think your love story is boring," I was intrigued.  It's premised on a comment from a teenage girl who said that she would never be satisfied with her love life until the boy ran through an airport to stop her from getting on a flight.  And, so, Lisa Jo Baker set out to write an article that is premised on the admission, "He's never run through an airport for me...."

And several people have picked up on this idea and written their own versions.  So, when in Rome...


My version of He's Never Run Through The Airport For Me...

He's never run through an airport for me.  He never landed us on a stadium jumbotron or written me a poem or professed his love for me on a beach in the middle of a lightning storm.

But he listens when I rant or cry or when I'm so excited about something that I can't help but talking 100 miles a minute.  He encourages me and reminds me to have faith and has never told me to shut up when I need reassurance for the 157th time that someday this long distance thing will come to an end.

He's never run through an airport for me.  He's never sent three dozen roses to my office or taken me to Tiffany's or hit a home run off of a pitch from my ex boyfriend.

But he makes me feel safe and pretty and confident.  He believes in me and appreciates my input and supports the things that are important to me.  Instead of stopping me from getting on an airplane, he'd be telling me to go have the time of my life and that he'd see me when I got back.  Or driving two hours to rescue me when my plane almost crashed and I refused to stay on it.  (Yep.  That happened.)

He's never run through an airport for me.  He hasn't gotten my name tattooed on his arm,  he hasn't sang a song outside my window, and he hasn't scaled a fire escape after crawling out of a limo (I'm also not a hooker, which is a positive as well).

But he holds my hand.  And he kisses my forehead. And he has driven all night just to spend the weekend with me.  He actually enjoys spending time with my family and always makes me laugh and was cool with our first date being to an NRA banquet.  With my parents.  And a convicted felon (who I'm pretty sure wasn't legally supposed to be there...)

He's never run through an airport for me.  And you know, that's just fine by me.  


Because somehow, real life is turning out better than the movies.

8 comments:

Katy Robertson said...

I love this, well put!! perfectly said.

I also laughed because sitting in my blogger post list is a half written post just like this that I have been waiting to finish. haha we think alike!

Anonymous said...

Cute! And he drove a couple hours out of his way to pick you up AT an airport when you made stupid American Airlines let you off their plane. :)

-College Roomie

Julie Lynn said...

OMG I loved this!!! So well said and I couldn't agree more.

Jen@Almost Gypsy Soul said...

This just makes me so happy for you!

Brianne said...

Super cute!

Beth said...

GREAT post. Sounds like it's a real relationship and not a movie. :)

Pharmer Girl said...

Love this post, spot on my dear spot on! Also you two are cuter than heck and that gives me hope. Thank you for that.

Nicole said...

This is FANTASTIC!!! I may just have to do my own now!