Monday, November 23, 2009

Shame on You Random 1L Boys!

"Let no one every come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness." ~Mother Teresa

So I am feeling a soapbox week coming for the blog. I figure this is as good of place as any for me to get out my frustrations!
2L is a 2L (second year) in law school. She and my friend, Aggie Friend, are partners for the trial practice class. For those of you who didn't go to our law school, let me explain. You take this class, are given a case file, work for MONTHS on getting ready, then you go to the courthouse with actual judges and jurors and put on a mock trial. It's like half your grade in the class. Trial date was this last weekend. So...needless to say, things were pretty stressful!

On Friday morning, 2L's husband got very ill and had to go to the hospital. So here she is with trial prep coming out her ears, a husband in the trauma room, and three kids. Apparently she spent part of the day hunting a babysitter for her kiddos so that she would be able to go to the trial on Saturday.

Here comes the soapbox......apparently a couple of 1L boys offered to help her out, but they had all these conditions, including certain time limits AND THEY INSISTED SHE PAY THEM!! Yea. Grrrr.

I am sorry, but I just cannot even imagine. Whoever you random boys are, you better be glad I'm not at the law school anymore because I'd track you down and give you a come to Jesus lecture like you wouldn't believe. Did your mama's not raise you right? Seriously!

Where I come from, we help each other when someone is in trouble. You don't expect (much less demand) anything in return. You help because you are a good person, because it's the right thing to do, and becuase it's what you'd want someone to do for you if, God forbid, you are ever in that situation.

And you know what, our law school is supposed to be that way too. My class constantly went out of their way to help each other. People would send outlines and oral argument scheduled and class notes and bring pick-me-up gifts or cards when someone had a bad day. That's one of the best parts of that law school. This was a legacy I think my whole class worked hard to leave, and I don't apprecite people ruining it by acting like this.

So, in case this is something that needs to be said to people, please don't be a jerk when someone is in a sitution where she needs help. Put yourself aside for one minute and picture yourself in her shoes. Life is hard enough without people making it worse on each other. Remember that the next time someone needs your help!

1 comment:

RobynBeazley said...

I hope Heather's husband is recovering quick. I trust Heather & Traci's trial went amazing in the end!