Thursday, January 14, 2010

Throwback Thursday #10: I Missed the Castle!

"Our happiest moments are tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else." ~Lawrence Block

I know I promised the Vatican today.....but I was reading through my Throwback Thursday blogs, and realized I missed one of the coolest things from the whole trip......our tour of a castle! Somehow, I missed this whole day! So, we're backtracking to Switzerland and will return to Rome next Thursday.

The day between the chocolate/cheese train and the Olympic Museum, we went to Montreux to walk around and explore. Montreux (pronounced Mont row) is a great little city also on the shore of Lake Geneva, nestled right at the base of the Alps. It's where we caught the train to go up into the Alps the day before. Anyway, it's home to the world famous Montreux Jazz Festival, which was sadly not going on while we were there.

Anyway.... the city was beautiful, and I took some of my favorite pictures of the entire trip there. Here are a few.Just outside of Montreux is Chillon, home of this awesome castle. We didn't know anyting about it, but figured, we'd never been to a castle, so why not? It didn't look that far, so we decided to walk from Montreux. It was actually quite a little treck, but we rewarded ourselves with ice cream on the way back. You probably saw those pictures on the prior "Eating my way across Europe" blog. :)
We decided we had to go into the Castle, and it was awesome! It was built back in (I think!) the 14th Century or something. It was really cool. Still standing, super sturdy, even had a moat! Here are just a few pictures of inside.

I finally discovered where the knight in shining armour I've been looking for is hiding.....ah ha!

Okay, next week I really do promise I'll blog about the Vatican. I have double checked and have now covered everything we did in Switzerland! Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

~Micah said...

What a great trip! I always love to catch up with your life! Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Thanks, Micah! They're never as good as your blogs....but I appreciate you reading them!