In one of my google alerts about agriculture, I came across a great program in Oregon and see now that there are similar programs in several other states. I don't know if all other states do this or not, but I think that if they don't, they need to start!
Oregon (and apparently several other states including New York, Missouri, and Iowa) award program called the "Century Farm and Ranch Program" that recognizes farmers and ranchers whose families have worked the same land for 100 years. The operations get recognition at the State Fair (where else??) and get a sign for their yard. They are asked in many states to submit narratives and photographs of the farms over the years, and these are kept on file or made into a book. But more important than that is the fact that people recognize the kind of dedication, commitment and hard work it takes to keep a farm or ranch going for one hundred years.
As Missouri Governor Jack Markell put it, “I am not a farmer, but I recognize the kind of dedication, love of the land and perseverance it takes to live the agricultural life, an enduring way of life. I salute these families for their living history, their ongoing contribution to our state’s agricultural heritage, and sincerely hope that their children and grandchildren will carry on the tradition and farm this land for many years to come.”The pride that a family farm instills in the owners is something that's hard to explain. It's a sense of belonging, of purpose, and of home that I don't think other people will ever understand. You learn at a young age the type of sacrifices required to keep a farm going. This summer, my family will gather at the homestead of my great grandparents to celebrate its Century anniversary. 100 years ago, my great grandparents loaded their baby up in a wagon, drove to the homested and settled there. Four more babies, lots of grandkids and great grandkids later, it's been 100 years. I'm proud to say that farm is still in our family, owned by my great uncle. The farm that my grandparents started is just over 50 years old. If blogs are still popular in 50 more years, expect to be seeing a blog about that anniversary as well.
Think about the idea of farming for a century....these farms and ranches began in 1910. To put this in perspective, that was before any World Wars had been fought, about the same time that Henry Ford was building his first model T, and before several states (including my own) were even states. And every day from then until now, these families have been farming and ranching. I agree with Governor Markell, I hope that 100 years from now, these people's grandchildren are getting the 200 year award.




No comments:
Post a Comment