Friday, February 12, 2010

Family Farm Friday # 7: Farming - The American Dream

"I learned that there were two ways I could live my life: following my dreams or doing something else. Dreams aren't a matter of chance, but a matter of choice." ~David Copperfield

The American Angus Association has been doing a wonderful series called "I Am Angus." My friend Crystal, who works for the Association, has been showing several of these videos on her blog....so I borrowed my favorite one. They focus on certain angus producers and do a short feature on their operation. First off, I think the idea of this series is amazing. This is exactly the kind of story telling that people in the agriculture industry really need to be doing today. Way to go American Angus Association!

Anyway, the most recent segment focuses on Tullyfergus Angus, located in New York state. The owners, Robert and Linda Groom, moved to America from Scotland ten years ago. The reason? They had their American dream---to have their own farm in the United States. They have made their dream come true. Today, they are producing high quality Angus cattle, and raising a family on the farm. To see their story, watch the "I Am Angus" video below.

Farming is the quintessential American dream. For centuries, farmers have been respected in American society. Owning a farm allows a person to create a way of life, to own their own land, to produce food and clothing for themselves and for America, to raise children with a strong work ethic, and to leave a legacy that can last for generations. If that's not the American dream, I don't know what is.

1 comment:

crystal.cattle said...

Thanks for posting this Tiffany. I think sometime we take for granted what we have here. When you hear the story of someone wanting to move across the ocean just to be apart of American agriculture. Have a great weekend!

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com