Thursday, February 18, 2010

Throwback Thursday #14: Bascilica of St. Paul

“Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” ~St. Paul, Eph 6:13

As I mentioned in my blog about the Vatican, I didn't get the spiritual feeling I expected when I was there. I love going into old churches anywhere.....I find them beautiful and peaceful. The Vatican, while amazing, didn't do that for me. It was crowded, very touristy, and sort of commercial.

However, the Bascilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls made up for that. We almost didn't go---it's way out of the way from anywhere else you want to go in Rome. But, both Cousin Swiss Mister and I really wanted to see where St. Paul was buried, especially since he was such an influential teacher of the Word in the New Testament. So, we load up on the metro and head to the Bascilica.

We get there.....and realize we are in the ghetto. Like seriously scary. We wonder around, while praying we don't get shot, and finally figure out where the church is. An example of the type of neighborhood we were in can be seen here. These would be shards of glass that are placed on the top of the wall surrounding the church. Seriously. Although, if you think about St. Paul's ministry, it seems fitting that he is buried outside the walls of Rome, that he is with the people who are on the outside. He was called to preach the word of God to the Gentiles.....he was used to being out of the limelight, among those on the outside. We happened to come up on the back of the church. This is what we see.

I'm thinking, you have to be kidding me....this is kinda a dump. How could Paul be buried here? Little did I know how amazing it was going to be once we got inside, and found the front of the Bascilica.

The Bascilica is absolutely huge, with beautiful frescas, huge pilars and marble floors. There are several different small chapels inside the one large Bascilica.

The center of the Bascilica is where the tomb of St. Paul is located. As you can see, there is the statue over to top of the tomb, and you can then go down the steps and kneel in front of the tomb itself.
Above is the tomb. The window lets you see right into the marble within which St. Paul's bones lie. The inscription reads PAULO APOSTOLO MART, which means Apostle Paul, martyr. Below is a chain. This is the actual chain that was used to hold St. Paul while he was imprisoned in Rome. Seeing these things with your own eyes, being this close to such an important part of history was amazing.
If you get the chance to go to Rome, I would recommend walking up to the front of the Bascilica. Here is what you'll see. It's quite different than the back. :)

Cousin Swiss Mister was so impressed, he shot some video of the Bascilica. I am improving my blogging skills, so I think this will work and you will be able to check it out!

No comments: