Monday, October 25, 2010

Being Truly Grateful

“The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.” ~Eric Hoffer

I like to think of myself as being a pretty grateful person. I've blogged before about how because of the amazing number of blessings I have in my life, I feel a great responsibility to give back. I thank God daily for blessing me with friends and family who love me, with the opportunity to have gotten an education and a job, and for other broad stroke things like that. I thought I was a pretty grateful person.....but last week changed that.

Without going into too much detail, I came across a woman who was on her way to court. She wore a dress, dangly earrings and simple dress shoes. As she was walking, her shoe accidentally came off. She explained that she didn't own any nice shoes, so she borrowed some to come to court. But she was a size 6 and the friend who she borrowed the shoes from was a size 9.
It almost brought me to tears. There are so many things that I take for granted in my life. While I am often grateful to have a good job, I never think about being grateful to have shoes to wear to work. While I am often grateful to have a house to live in, I never think about having a blanket to cover up with at night. The list goes on and on.

I am so blessed beyond belief, and I take so much of it for granted. It's funny that it took meeting a person with so much less than me to make me appreciate all of the little things that I have been blessed with. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways.

No comments: