Friday, February 8, 2013

Family Farm Friday #77: Livestock Raises Kids

I saw a quote last week that contained the following phrase, "Livestock raises kids."


Thinking back on my childhood, I couldn't agree more.  I don't know that I remember a day of my childhood that didn't involve an animal.  Horses, cows, sheep, pigs, dogs.....you name it.  Those animals were as much a part of raising me as were the people who I had around me (and those were some pretty darn good people!)

Livestock teaches kids so many lessons.  Responsibility.  Compassion.  Death.  Work ethic.  Friendship.  Where you food comes from.  Birds and the bees.  Managing finances.  Winning and losing.

Whether it was the old ewe that my Mom called Whisper, or the dog whose name was my first word, or a pig named Small Fry who would fall over on the ground if you scratched his belly, or any one of a whole litany of horses I could list by name (Baldy, Smokey, Baby Doll, Frosty, Chief, Blaze, Badger), or one of the show lambs of whom my parents may have more photos on display in the house than of their children....

....those animals raised this kid.  And I'd like to think they did a pretty good job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite picture is the one of you and I am assuming your brother worming a lamb :) Love the red pants! I just saw my senior picture in our high school year book this morning and I was totally wearing a red, white, and blue patriotic colored shirt... :)

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

Sooooo true! What a great way to grow up. All the old pictures make me smile.

-College Roomie

Rozann said...

This is so awesome!! What a great reflection.

Pancho, Snort, Honky, Gringo, and countless other unnamed cattle, I thank you.

:)

Pharmer Girl said...

Oh man I sure do like this blog! It pretty much hits the nail on the head especially if you were raised by livestock!

Can't wait for tonight :)

Anonymous said...

What's up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this article. It was helpful. Keep on posting!
Feel free to surf my blog post ... diets that work

Anonymous said...

Awe, Tiff, I loved this one, and its so true for a ranch raised kid! And you had to mention old Frosty, what a memory for me!