When I was 9 months old, I got a red-headed cousin. In the last 28 years, that cousin has turned into my travel partner and one of my closest friends.
All these trips have taught me a few things about Miss Whitney. I thought I would share a couple pieces of advice with Nathan tonight.
First, do not ever make her trip and fall down. There may have been an incident on a ski trip where Denton cut her off, causing her to fall down, which then proceeded into her screaming a choice cuss word, which I cannot repeat in church, and trying to stab him with her poles. Keep her on her feet and you'll be okay.
Second, when you tell Whitney to do something, she'll do it, so be careful. When our dads were teaching us to water ski, they made a big deal about how you don't let go of the rope. Which was good advice. Until Whitney fell. And kept on holding on to that rope. And almost drowned in Ute Lake. When you give her instructions, be sure you mean them.
Third, she does not deal well with motion sickness. Fortunately for Nathan, I have broken her into this. She has dealt with me throwing up in multiple states and two continents. My best advice for you is to always carry an airplane barf bag with you in the car. I took care of getting a couple ofr Nathan to take on the honeymoon to help you avoid any issues. *Here I walked over and handed him three barf bags. Classy.*
Fourth, listen to what she tells you. She doesn't talk much, but when she does, she means it. I learned this when about halfway up the steps to get to the top of St. Peter's Bascilica in Rome she said that she was hot and needed something to drink. I agreed it was hot and I was thirsty and kept on climbing. Once we got to the top, Whitney blacked out on me and was white as a ghost. I thought I was going to have to carry her down. Oh, on a related note, cold water and lasagna seem to be the cure if she ever does get faint on you.
Fifth, Whitney does not like getting her nice shoes dirty. When we were kids, Whitney hardly talked at all. I had never heard her yell at anyone in my life. One Friday they came up to the house and we were working cattle. Someone left a gate open and my Dad yelled at her to close the gate. She did not answer him and he yelled at her again. Then little, meek, mild mannered Whitney stood up on the gate, and screamed, at the top of her lungs, "I'm wearing my school shoes!!" We all looked around with our mouths wide open. My dad looked sort of shocked, said, "Well, okay then" and we just let the cows go right on out the gate. So be careful where you try to get her to step!
Despite my advice, I'm not too worried about Nathan. I think he will be able to hold his own. I knew he was a tough guy when he Family Ski Trip--both the summer and winter version--in the same year. For those of you who have not been on the ski trip, that's really saying something!
So in closing, Whitney, I'm so glad that God made us cousins. I'm even more glad that you have become one of my best friends. And Nathan, if Whitney is half as good of a wife to you as she's been a cousin to me, you're a very lucky guy. To Nathan and Whitney.








7 comments:
Love and I love the wedding pic of Whitney and Nathan :)
~LOKG
Great speech! She is lucky to have you as a cousin too. PS. I'll be speeching in Feb, you are hired to assist me in the writing of the speech!
<3 - close cousins are the BEST.
I love the pic of the newlyweds!
-College Roomie
You knocked it out of the park...again! Take Jennifer up on her offer. If the law thing doesn't work out, you definitely have good prospects as a professional speech writer :)
Sounds like a great speech, with plenty of great memories/stories!
this is so sweet! love that you are so close with your cousin! i only have boy cousins....sooo not the same!
What a great speech!
Post a Comment