On New Year's Day, the last meal was served at New York's famous restaurant, Tavern on the Green. The owners filed for bankruptcy and the restaurant was auctioned off.
For those of you who are not familar with the restaurant.....it's located in Central Park in New York City, on what as a sheep meadow back in the day (my interest suddenly makes sense, I know). For years it was one of the highest grossing restaurants in America. It has beautiful architecture, including a beautiful Crystal Room and gorgeous garden that overlooks the park and is decorated with lanterns.
I remember being a kid, living on a farm in the boonies, really never thinking I'd go to New York City, much less eat at Tavern on the Green, but thinking that was what really important people did in New York. When I finally got the chance to travel to NYC the summer before I started law school, Tavern on the Green was on the top of my list (both my travel list and it was also on my bucket list!) of things I had to do.
So, my Cousin Whitney and my Teacher Friend and I all dressed up and went for a fancy dinner. It was so worth it--that place was elegant and classy and exciting. I don't remember the food being that good (or even what I ordered!)---but I do remember the beautiful rooms, the great garden where we sat, and a lady standing in the bathroom handing you a towel to wash your hands. Yep.....I knew then it was bigtime! I so regret not having a picture of that....why did I not take my camera to the bathroom!?!

The whole time we were there, it felt like we were movie stars. I remember Whitney was even scared for us to take pictures at the table, becuase they had their own fancy photographer going around taking pictures. Tha didn't stop me from snapping the one above.
While we were dining in the garden, there was a wedding going on, and as we were leaving the restaurant, we saw the NYPD band headed in to play the reception. It really was like a movie.
It's sad to me that no other kids from small towns will be able to check off "Tavern on the Green" from their bucket lists. They won't get to feel like a movie star when they dress up with their friends and are handed a towel to dry their hands in the bathroom. I think I know how old people feel when they think back to the good ol' days....





2 comments:
So thought of you when I heard that news! Then when I saw you blogged about it-I was like she HAD to put something about the lady in the bathroom! HAHA! Or that we rode the tour bus dressed like that! Man good times!
Haha too funny!! I was like, oh yes....BLOG for sure! That lady in the bathroom was seriously one of the craziest experiences of my life, not going to lie! So glad you lived there for the summer and let us come visit! Otherwise, would have missed out completely!
Post a Comment