Monday, February 1, 2010

...Put A Ring On It!

"It gives me a headache to think about that stuff. I'm just a kid. I don't need that kind of trouble." ~Kenny, age 7, when asked if it's better to be single or married

No no, no one is putting a ring on my finger. Don't get all excited. A couple of weekends ago my college roomie and I went to a wedding show here in town. It was sort of as a joke---I heard the advertisement one afternoon, was watching that stupid show "Say Yes to the Dress" that night, and I thought, hey, we should go and try on dresses! I told the roomie and she said she was in.

Only problemo? Neither of us are engaged. Solution? We bought rings at Claire's and decided to pretend. My ring ended up being too big for my finger, and the roomie (who is actually in a serious relationship) decided faking it might be a jinx for her. So, I took her ring, figuring no jinx is going to be worse than my current relationship status, and was a bride for the day.
My quick report on wedding shows......don't go if you're really getting married. I felt that it was very overwhelming--there were way too many people jammed in a banquet room. It was hot and you could hardly move. I said to the roomie, "Can you believe there are this many people geting married?!" To which she replied, "Like us?" Fair point. Anyway, I think had I really been trying to plan something, it would have just stressed me out---the vendors were pushy, they were not organized well (I would have put all the cake together, all the flowers together, etc), and it was just too much.

Oh, and note....you don't get to try on dresses at a wedding show. Boo. You do, however, get to eat a lot of cake samples, so that was nice.

Anyway, back to the point of the blog. I've always said I don't want an expensive ring. Seriously, I have repeatedly claimed that I would kill a guy if he spent thousands of dollars on a ring. I would be perfectly happy with cubic from Wal-Mart. (Yes, I've been told I'll make some guy very happy one day...) I just feel like you can spend the money on so many other, better things, and that what matters is the marriage, not the ring.

I think I get this partially through genetics. My dad bought my mom's ring off his cousin, who had proposed to a girl and then they broke up. My mom didn't care, and they've been married for thirty years. My dad's cousin's wife, however, is not a fan! See below.
So my point was totally proven at the wedding show. As I was analyzing photographs at one of the booths, the photographer came over and said she just wanted to tell me I had a beautiful engagement ring. Yes.....that would be the $10 ring from Claires. And she would be a wedding photographer. See? No one can even tell! I'm so keeping that ring and when that guy does come along, maybe we'll just use that and save our money for a freakin awesome honeymoon!

2 comments:

crystal.cattle said...

You must have great a great sense of style on a budget. I am always wanted to go to a bridal show. I think I am going to just go for it next time, and get me one of those fake rings.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

You should totally go...it was interesting! I think you will decide you have no desire to go when you actually are a bride....so I was thankful to learn that!