"I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma." ~Eartha Kitt
I like to look back each year and think about what lessons I've learned. They say that if you stop learning, you stop living, so I figure keeping track of the lessons learned over the course of 365 days is a good idea. Here's my 2011 list.
1. I can't fix everything for people who I love. Sometimes, all I can do is be there. Whether it be on the phone at 2 in the morning or flying across the country to sit next to them on the front porch swing or getting together a document to bring some peace of mind. But maybe that--being there--is enough to make a difference.
2. The distance from the stands to the football field at Boone Pickens Stadium is farther than it looks. And when you land and twist an ankle, you figure out how to move really fast when there is a huge guy behind you jumping next!
3. I can do things I never though possible. Like running half marathons. What holds me back from doing great things is me.
4. Relationships are hard. All of them--be it a romantic relationship or a friendship. Sadly, I've seen people in my life whose relationships have failed this year. And that hurts my heart. You really have to work on these relationship things. To work on staying in touch and on going in the same direction and on making the relationship a priority. They don't tell you that kind of thing in the movies.
5. Reality tv stars are idiots. Now, should this be something I learned several years ago? Yea--obviously. But I feel like this year just drove this baby home. Really, Kim K.? 72 days? Pretty sure I could have stood on my head longer than that.
6. Red dirt music soothes the soul. When I have a bad day, I turn on some Stoney, Josh Abbott, Eli Young, Pat Green and things just look better.
7. If you're trying to live your life in a certain way, like one where people would call you a Christian, it's critical to surround yourself with people doing the same thing. I'm so grateful for my friends who have simlar values and who are there to support me, pray with me and hold me accountable when I get off track.
8. Apparently lots of women think that tights constitute pants. I do not. No offense to those of you who wear this fashion trend, but I'm out. I'll leave it at that.
9. Sometimes even when you train and prepare and plan (and download the perfect running mix for your half marathon), things go wrong (and your iPod battery is dead when you cross the start line). And when that happens, you have to just suck it up and make due with what you have (like stupid songs from karaoke in your head...for 2.5 hours!).
1. I can't fix everything for people who I love. Sometimes, all I can do is be there. Whether it be on the phone at 2 in the morning or flying across the country to sit next to them on the front porch swing or getting together a document to bring some peace of mind. But maybe that--being there--is enough to make a difference.
2. The distance from the stands to the football field at Boone Pickens Stadium is farther than it looks. And when you land and twist an ankle, you figure out how to move really fast when there is a huge guy behind you jumping next!
3. I can do things I never though possible. Like running half marathons. What holds me back from doing great things is me. 5. Reality tv stars are idiots. Now, should this be something I learned several years ago? Yea--obviously. But I feel like this year just drove this baby home. Really, Kim K.? 72 days? Pretty sure I could have stood on my head longer than that.
6. Red dirt music soothes the soul. When I have a bad day, I turn on some Stoney, Josh Abbott, Eli Young, Pat Green and things just look better.
7. If you're trying to live your life in a certain way, like one where people would call you a Christian, it's critical to surround yourself with people doing the same thing. I'm so grateful for my friends who have simlar values and who are there to support me, pray with me and hold me accountable when I get off track.
8. Apparently lots of women think that tights constitute pants. I do not. No offense to those of you who wear this fashion trend, but I'm out. I'll leave it at that.
9. Sometimes even when you train and prepare and plan (and download the perfect running mix for your half marathon), things go wrong (and your iPod battery is dead when you cross the start line). And when that happens, you have to just suck it up and make due with what you have (like stupid songs from karaoke in your head...for 2.5 hours!).
10. No matter where you are, or what you have, there is an opportunity to make a difference. To pray, to volunteer, to give....we can't all do the same things, but we can all do something.




1 comment:
'No, no, no...' If you can successfully complete a half marathon with that in your head, think of how awesome you'll be with a fully charged iPod.
-College Roomie
Post a Comment