Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Favorite Blogs of 2011

"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." ~Oprah



Well ladies and gents (the gents probably only being my Daddy and friend Flintstone), it's time once again for us to look back at the past year and try to come up with a list of the top 10 blogs. (If you want to see last year's...click here!) But we all know I suck at choosing things, so we're going to have a Top 20. Even narrowing it down to there was hard!

I'm excited about this because I've gotten several new followers lately (hello and welcome!!), so this is a good way for you to catch up on the good stuff you missed before you joined in on this little party train.



Although several of the people who I asked for input into this process thought that parts of the Meet the Cast Monday series and the Letters to Mr. Right series were some of the best blogs, I didn't include them on the list. To read any of thoese posts, just click on the links above.

With that, let's get down to business! Here are the Top 20 posts of 2011.

Ten Personal Commandments (January): My attempt at an assignment from the Happiness Project--I came up with 10 commandments to live by.

The Luckiest Man (February): My thoughts on the book by Johathan Eig about Lou Gehrig. Great book for a sports fan, and for anyone who has lost someone to ALS. This post got a comment from the author himself, which was pretty exciting!

The Rain Came (February): Sometimes, when you have faith, miracles happen. This is the story of Teacher Friend and her miracle, who has now arrived!
How Quickly We Forget (March): My thoughts on how I'm just like a wondering Isrealite in the Bible...too quickly forgetting God's promises and miracles.

Our Link (March): On the anniversary of our death, I explained the importance of Pink Boots, the friend who brought my group of girlfriends together in college.
Family Farm Friday #48: Please Report to the Golf Cart (April): My memories of the last sheep sale we had with Mr. Franklin before he passed away. Complete with him running into people on the golf cart.

Give the Kid a 42 (April): A look back to my childhood and how one act of kindness and encouragement may have changed my life.

Not the Way It's Supposed to Be (May): I try to avoid politics on this blog, but I couldn't help but comment on the death of Osama bin Laden and the reaction of people to that event.

I Saw God Today (June): Three stories. All different. All about seeing God in unexpected places. A child's simple faith. A crumbling church building. A woman singing praises despite hardships.

Family Far Friday #58: Dan and Jerry's (June): Childhood memories of my favorite crazy neighbors and an explaination of country neighborhoods creating families.

Girl's Weekend 2011 Crossing the Finish Line (August): Learning that I can accomplish goals that seem crazy and impossible, like running 13.1 miles. And living to tell about it.
The Little Blonde Headed Kid (August): Memories of an adorable kid whose life was taken far too soon.

Family Farm Friday #63: Wrong and Right (August): Realizing that in the worst sorrow, when we bury a 14 year old kid, we can see so much of what is right with the world...faith, love, community.

Family Farm Friday #64: So Much More (September): A look at how a person sees the land differently when it's her family's farm.

That Tuesday in September (September): How one day, 9/11, changed the world forever. And an appreciation for the things that it could not change.



We Are Orange (November): In the aftermath of the plane crash that killed 4 members of the OSU family, I reflected on what it means to be a Cowboy.



Letter to 16 Year Old Me (December): Things I wish I had known 12 years ago.
A Villa In Tuscany (December): A reminder that I'm not some spot along the way...I'm a destination. And a good one at that.

The Light (December): My thoughts on celebrating Christmas, in the light of a family tragedy.

One of the Good Ones (December): If you put a gun to my head, this would be my favorite blog of the year. Memories of my Uncle David that I've been told captured his personality and helped people in the grief process. I love the idea of my crazy ramblings having a purpose.



Now....I'd love to know which was YOUR favorite! One of the ones listed? One not listed? And what would you like to read more of in 2012?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all of the top 20! Keep 'em coming.

-College Roomie

Susanne said...

I'm a (relatively) new follower of your blog and in full disclosure I haven't read all of the ones you listed in this post, BUT... my favorites were your "Dear Mr. Right" posts! I think they echo what probably a lot of us single 20-somethings feel. Nicely put!

Anonymous said...

I also loved them all! My favorite series is still the same Family Farm Friday's! Please keep those coming throughout 2012. Also, I enjoyed asking your future nephew questions and love his answers, so I would recommend him making guest appearances again this year!

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

Wrong and Right and One of the Good Ones are my 2 favorites!

Mom

Anonymous said...

I like em ALL! Thank you for blogging so that I can start the day off right here at the chicken mine! - Micca

LINDA said...

Cute blog!

xoxo

Linda from www.moonon.com