Friday, July 17, 2015

Celebrating His Big 3-0

A year or so ago, we started discussing what we wanted to do to celebrate The Boy from Texas turning 30.  After my trip to Europe and girls football weekend for my 30th, it seemed only right to celebrate him in style as well.  So we tossed around some ideas and settled in on a summer trip to Ireland.  But, then, in January, we peed on a stick. Well, "we" didn't, just me.  And you all know, the rest is history.

Being that an overseas trip was not really in the cards for an 8 month pregnant lady, we had to go to Plan B.  We settled on the mountains of New Mexico.  And while it was no Ireland, we had a really good time!

The night before we left, we had a little birthday dinner and gift giving time just the two of us.  I made the birthday pie that received 5/5 on the scoring system.  Then I was very excited to give him his gift.  Like dancing around the living room kind of excited.  He seemed annoyed while sitting in his chair.  I asked if he would post a photo of the gift on Facebook.  He said that was stupid.  Finally, I gave up trying to get him all amped up and just let him open the present.

This was the face I kept getting.
And....viola.  I was no longer the one dancing around the living room.  Okay, maybe he wasn't dancing, but he was quite excited nonetheless with his Remington 1911 .45 pistol.  

There's the happy face.

He had wanted one of these for a long time and had tried to win one last year at the NRA banquet, but no luck.  So, several months ago I started doing research and enlisted several friends for help.  I was pretty sure I could pull off the surprise because he wouldn't think I would trust myself picking out a gun (I didn't, several of his friends and mine had to reassure me) or think I would spend so much money on a birthday present (I'm a cheapskate).  Mission accomplished.


He would have gotten a more expensive model of gun, but he
got Angus instead.  Here is his with both his presents.

The next day, we were off for the mountains.  We dropped Angus off with our sweet friend Lisa, who kindly agreed to doggy sit for four days.  It was an exhausting ride to her house apparently.



Then after several stops along the way--including one at the tire shop to deal with a bolt in a tire--we arrived in Ruiodoso, home of cool mountain air, horse races, and the Inn of the Mountain Gods.  We met up with my parents and our friends from College Station and had a great time.  There was lots of stories told over beers (not for me, of course), some gambling, some horse racing, some balcony sitting, some shopping, some cupcakes, not much sleeping....it was excellent.

View from our balcony at the Inn of the Mountain Gods


Track side at Ruiodoso Downs

My dear friend from College Station

With my folks.

I think that The Boy from Texas would agree that ringing in his 30th was a success.  He did, however, reject my proposal that we name the baby Ireland since we had to postpone our trip on his account.  What?  I thought it was creative.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how Ty humors your picture taking antics but still manages to make his feelings known. Dave does the same thing -- sure, I will take this picture but I am going to look annoyed with you haha.

Also, I love the picture of the dog and the gun, haha. Country boy, through and through.

Can't believe you are 8 weeks!

Brianne said...

Haha the pictures & quotes you post of him always make me laugh. I'm glad y'all had a great trip & that you were able to surprise him with such an awesome present!