Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Weekend Recap

We stayed home this past weekend, something that is not super common for us.  But, as is our lives, we pretty much went non-stop the entire time.  We are (not) patiently waiting for our addition/renovation to be done to the house and had a ton of cleaning, moving, and little projects that needed done.  Here's a bit of a recap of what we got accomplished 'round these parts.

The little town we now live in has a huge rodeo each year in July.  We're talking rodeo, parade, free bbq, contests, trade show in the park.....it's a big deal for such a tiny place!  We decided that we should probably participate in the events.  

On Friday night we headed over for a lovely dinner of bbq brisket and beans, followed by watching a bit of the rodeo.  The mutton bustin' was by far my favorite event.  It is open only to children under 7.  They put the little guys (and girls!) on the back of a wooly ewe, tell them to hold on for dear life, turn the ewes loose, and let the fun begin.  I am kicking myself for leaving my phone in the car or I'd have photos for you.  The night we were there, the winner was a little blonde boy with missing teeth and big chaps.  He got a belt buckle for his efforts.  Of course, this got the wheels turning in my head for the future and The Baby from Texas.  He does have a grandpa with a barn full of sheep to practice on, after all...

We ended up leaving after about an hour of rodeo fun because the poor pregnant lady had to pee.  I was not about to hit up a porta potty at a rodeo full of drunk cowboys in the middle of July.  No sir. So we called it a night and headed home.

Instead of going right to bed, we decided to continue working on a minor home improvement project:  painting the front porch and door.  Our front door was painted sort of a dull, old lady blue color that we both hated.  We wanted to spice it up a bit and decided it might be fun to paint it turquoise to give some pop to the white house.  In addition, we had to re-paint the porch trim, which was the same old lady blue.  So, you can picture me, 8.5 months pregnant crouched down painting the porch.  I'm sure it was a sight to see.

Here are before, during and after shots for your enjoyment.





I'll admit, the turquoise is a bit brighter than I had envisioned.  But, this was our second can of paint (the first was far worse!) so we just went with it.  I actually like it. The Boy from Texas is a bit on the fence still....

On Saturday we continued on in the community spirit and hit up the parade.  We took Angus with us and, as usual, he was a hit.  Everyone wanted to pet him and wave to him and the cheerleaders even threw him a Popsicle, which turned his little tongue blue.  All in all, he liked the parade fine, he was particularly fond of the horses, not so much of the fire trucks with their loud sirens.



On Sunday morning we went to church and then came home and got back to work on more home improvement projects.  I cleaned out and wiped down all our kitchen cabinets and pantry (thank you, mouse, for making this necessary), while The Boy from Texas re-did a closet in our hallway.  I am so, SO mad at myself for not doing a before and after because, y'all.  That husband of mine did work.  This cabinet was dirty, had holes in the wall, we're pretty sure is how the mouse came in, had no shelves, and the nastiest linoleum floor you've ever seen.

About three hours later, take a gander at what we have now!  White walls, wood floors, and a shelf!  The plan is for this to be the cleaning supply closet--the vacuum, swiffer, and shark mop all fit right under the shelf.


And so, there you have it.  A pretty mundane weekend at home in our world.  

3 comments:

Brianne said...

Haha from the time kids started seriously being on my radar I decided that someday when I have them I am most definitely putting them on sheep. I love the turquoise. It looks so fun.

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

I like the turquoise. It's so cheerful!

Jen@Almost Gypsy Soul said...

love the turquoise! and the closet looks great too. I can see why Angus is a hit everywhere he goes, he is adorable!