Monday, October 12, 2009

Do dreams change?

"Dreams are like stars...you my never touch them, but if you follow them they will led you to your destiny."

The requests begin!! On Saturday I blogged asking for suggestions for the blog---I have three---but I need more! Please let me know what you want to read about!

Stefanie wanted me to write about how my dreams had changed. Presumably this is referring to the fact that I grew up in a tiny town, a village as my friends like to point out, and now I'm an attorney practicing in the big city.


So....this got me thinking. I do not really think dreams change. At least for me, I think my dreams have stayed the same throughout my life, but the vehicles to achieve those dreams have changed. I think my dreams have always been to be happy and successful and have people in my life who love and support me. I don't think that has ever changed. Now, I do know that the way in which I decided to pursue those dreams changes all the time. Fortunately, I am a person who is genuinely happy with whatever I am doing, wherever I am, and I have people in my life who love me and support me during whatever vehicle I am currently experiencing!

Trust me, when I was 15, I had no idea I'd be lawyer ten years down the line. In fact, I used to drive the career counselor people that would come to school crazy. Once a year they would ask what we wanted to be. I never knew, so I'd just tell them something that sounded cool that day: Radiologist, News Anchor, Teacher, Anesthesiologist, Banker....you get the idea. I didn't know that they kept a record of this ever year since the 4th grade. When I was a senior, the guy looked back over my many years and many aspirations and said, "You just made these up as we went along, didn't you?" My answer? "Yes sir. I did."

My point is, I think that no matter what path we decide to take, we can all end up fulfilling our dreams. In ten years, I might still be practicing law, and hopefully I'll be happy and successful and have great people in my life. On the other hand, in ten years, I might never want to read a law book again, but hopefully I'll still be happy and successful and have great people in my life.

No comments: