Friday, March 2, 2012

Book Club Friday #2: January and February Books

“The ability to read awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.” ~Malcolm X

It's time for another edition of Book Club Friday! As I mentioned in my review last week, my goal is to finish at least 2 books a month this year. So far, so good. For January, I read "If You Have To Cry Go Outside" and "For One More Day." For February, I read "The Other Wes Moore" (see review here) and "One Thousand Gifts." What's next you ask?

Well my shelf currently holds Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow, Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada, Come Be My Light, the private writings of Mother Teresa, I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloan Crosley, Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, and How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World by Jordan Christy....and lots more. Now you know what you have to look forward to. You can see my full lists at Goodreads.

So, finally, let's get to my reviews, shall we?



If You Have To Cry Go Outside


This book is by Kelly Cutrone--the grouchy, all black-wearing boss from The Hills. She is hard core, doesn't take crap from anyone, and built her own successful business from the ground up. Her book is a story of her life, her struggles and her successes. She is all about listening to your inner voice, building a life full of a "tribal counsel" of great people around you, and being true to yourself. Just to be clear--I totally disagree with her thoughts on religion--but if you put that aside, I really enjoyed the book. It's a super easy read.




Favorite Quotes:




- It was my journey inwards--the process of learning to listen and trust myself--that electrified and transformed my outer journey, helping me concieve and achive things beyond my wildest dreams.




- Dreams won't always take you on a straight path to destiny, but they're usually related to what your soul wants for you.




- I'd like to think of fear as a messenger that doesn't always make sense: you have to figure out who sent fear before you can dismiss it outright.




- At this point, I'm certainly not waiting for anyone else to show up and make me happy ever after. I'm busy scouting out my dream house in the country, making the money to afford it, and creating my own happily ever after.




For One More Day




I absolutely LOVE Mitch Album. You've read before about how much I enjoyed Tuesdays with Morrie and Have a Little Faith. While I'd say this book was probably my least favorite of his, it was still a great read. It's the story of a broken man--an addict who has lost his wife and daughter and attempts to take his own life, and the day he was able to spend with his dead mother. He had the chance to do what so many of us wish for--have another day with someone who we have loved and lost.




Favorite Quotes:

- Every family is a ghost story. The dead sit at our tables long after they have gone.

- Sharing tales of those we've lost is how we keep from really losing them.




One Thousand Gifts




This book was not a super easy read for me. It took me quite a while to get through, but when I got to the end and looked back at all the pages I dog eared and things I underlined, it was clear that I really got a lot out of it. It's the story of a woman who has been through hardships and her focus on thankfulness (or eucharisteo) in her life. In order to focus on this, she counted up 1,000 things for which she was thankful. It's an eye opening book that really made me think about my attitude and the multitde of blessings that God has given us.




Favorite Quotes:




- There is a reason I am not writing this story and God is. He knows how it all works out, where it all leads, what it all means. I don't.




- Thanksgiving always precedes the miracle.




- The Lord has to break us down at the strongest part of our self-life before he can have His own way of blessing us.




- Perhaps the opposite of faith is not doubt. Perhaps the opposite of faith is fear.




- Use me then, my Savior, for whatever purposes and in whatever way you may require. Here is my poor heart, an empty vessel; fill it with your grace. - D.L. Moody

3 comments:

Jessica said...

These all sound like great books - you read more intelligent literature than I do though! These seem very thought provoking!

Heather said...

I'm with DB- most of my reads are lighter than this! These sound great though!

Catherine Fishback said...

Love Kelly Cutrone. That book sounds awesome.