Monday, March 14, 2011

Meet the Cast Monday #10: Gonzaga Friend

Today's Meet the Cast Monday features another of my friends who I met during my summer of living in San Francisco! You've read a few times before about Gonzaga Friend, so I was super excited to have her answer some questions for Meet the Cast Monday. Her name comes from the fact that she went to college at.....you guessed it....Gonzaga! She is currently working at the same law firm that we summered at in San Francisco. She recently married a doctor (talk about a dream come true!) and is just one of the happiest, funniest people I know. So, with that....
Meet Gonzaga Friend!
What is your favorite quote?
I don't know if this is my absolute favorite - but it has always stuck with me:

"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, falling in love in a quite absolute, final way.
What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination, will affect everything.
It will decide what will get you out of bed in the morning,
What you do with your evenings,
How you spend your weekends,
What you read,
Who you know,
What breaks your heart, and
What amazes you with joy and gratitude.
Fall in love and stay in love, and it will decide everything."
- Fr. Pedro Arrupe
{This may be MY new favorite quote.....I absolutely love it!}

Have you ever been on a blind date?
Yes. I was set up on a blind date in high school as part of a newspaper article for a neighboring high school. There were two couples, and a photographer followed us around and wrote up an article afterward. I have no idea how the article turned out, and really I can't remember much about the date (or the guy!). I am pretty sure we played Skee ball at some point in the date though. {Dang....if you can't fall in love over Skee ball....}

What was your favorite part of our summer associate summer?
It is impossible to narrow this down to just one favorite thing about the summer. I was very fortunate to have a wonderful summer associate group, and they made the summer great. So, while the people are probably my favorite part about the summer, there are a few incidents I should mention:

(1) Our 10-mile canoe trip. What was supposed to be a leisurely float down the Russian River turned into an adventure. I was responsible for saving Tiffany's sandwich at least twice, and I somehow managed to stay upright in my canoe! {You have read about this before here, and once again, I place full blame on BFF!} (2) Our trip to LA for deposition training (but mostly the trip back to SF). I won't go into details, but there was singing, drinking, and general merriment on the plane ride back. {Let's just say that I would not have been suprised had the airport security been called when we landed in San Francisco.....the best part was Georgia Boy (who you'll meet soon) sprinting to the back of the plane as we were landing because he had to pee RIGHT NOW. He was still in there when we touched down. When you gotta go....}

(3) Our goodbye dinner at Joe DiMaggio's with even more drinking, eating, and lots and lots of laughter! Some of my memories are a little fuzzy on that one.... {Yea.....I am not any help filling in the fuzziness!}
Tell us where you had your wedding reception and how awesome it was!
My (soon-to-be) husband and I were living in Seattle when we started wedding planning. He was a good sport and went with me to the Seattle Wedding Show, and even toured multiple potential wedding venues. But we were totally sold on one location, not only was it very "Seattle" with great views, but the staff was fantastic and totally took care of everything. After a wonderful ceremony in a chapel near the University of Washington campus, we headed to the Space Needle for our reception! The location was a hit for all of our out-of-town guests, and we had so much fun. I also loved walking around in my wedding gown in a relatively public place, I totally felt like a princess. {How cute are these two? And their children are going to have perfect teeth!}

What is your favorite part of living in San Francisco?
There is so much to love about San Francisco. I love all the things there are to do in this area. It is close to great places for hiking, skiing, biking, wine tasting, etc.. But I would be leaving out a big part of the the city if I didn't mention the food. One of my favorite things to do on the weekends is go to the Saturday Farmer's Market at the Ferry Terminal. {Me too!! You've read about that here before.} I have had strawberries and peaches that are out of this world. But then there are also yummy cheeses made by Cowgirl Creamery and decadent Parisian macaroons made by Miette. Unfortunately, work often interferes with my ability to enjoy all of these delightful parts of San Francisco, but I do my best! Least favorite?
My husband and I are living apart right now, and have lived apart for the past year. So, the thing I like least about San Francisco is the absence of my handsome husband. But this will be remedied in the next six months or so!

What is the best part of working at a big law firm?
There are a lot of really smart people who help you learn (really fast), and there are a lot of resources available to help you do your job well. I also appreciate the endless supply of Diet Pepsi in the refrigerator and the great view of the city from my office.
Worst part?
Work never stops. Not only is there a lot of work, but even when you're not busy you have to make sure you don't miss anything. In the past year, there have been only two days when I didn't check my Blackberry because I was so concerned about missing something: Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I had no idea that I would really never be able to take a break from work.

Tell us about your post-bar trip to Europe!
I took a week-long trip to Paris, which was wonderful. I'm a huge museum junky - so in the course of that week I went to the Louvre three times (not to mention the other museums I visited)! Add to that the long walks I took around Paris, and all of the delicious food, and I never wanted to leave. {I believe the picture below is a pretty clear indication of why we are friends. Click here and you'll see why!}


What is one (or more) item(s) on your bucket list?
(1) Traveling with my husband. I studied abroad in Italy my junior year of college, and I can't wait to share that travel experience with him. We're hoping for a trip to Italy and Spain this summer (cross your fingers that our schedules make that possible!)

(2) Run a half-marathon in under two hours. {Me....you....the first half of the San Francisco Marathon!?!?}

(3) Learn to cook even half as well as my Grandma.

1 comment:

Megan said...

This is SO cute! She seems like a fun and amazing woman. How awesome that they had their reception at the Space Needle. Jealous!!