It's almost the end of July and that always makes me think of one thing. Crunch time. Here's the story.
When we were showing, our county fair was always the second week in August. And even though we worked hard with our animals and spent a lot of hours at the barn all through the year, my father deemed the month or so before the fair "crunch time."
Here is what that meant.
Dad: Um, what time is it?
Me: Oh come on, Dad.
Dad: You know it's crunch time.
(Me spending the evening at the barn and not doing the event filling in the blank above.)
Little Brother: Do we really have to practice showing all the sheep again tonight?Dad: Um, what time is it?
Apparently other families had similar approaches. Our friends from Artesia referred to it as two a days. And I can guarantee you that domestic disputes in barns increase all around the country during crunch time. It's just a fact. You know though, crunch time paid off. Every year, in sale checks, belt buckles and banners.
Little Brother: Time for you to get a grip?
(Us, showing every sheep again that night.)
Apparently other families had similar approaches. Our friends from Artesia referred to it as two a days. And I can guarantee you that domestic disputes in barns increase all around the country during crunch time. It's just a fact. You know though, crunch time paid off. Every year, in sale checks, belt buckles and banners.

And I suppose that my Dad, crazy as he is, taught us a lesson about getting down to business and working hard when it's necessary. I realized this last week when work was crazy for me as we were preparing for oral argument at the Court of Appeals and I was putting in crazy hours. I swear one afternoon I heard my dad's voice deeming this crunch time.
Turns out, that crazy old man had a lot of tricks up his sleeve. And that he was using them to prepare us for life, not just to prepare for sheep and pig shows. Who knew?




4 comments:
Love this look back at your family's fair experiences. This has been the first summer in forever that we haven't had show animals on feed, and I think at first it was hard for my mom to not have a Weigh Day once a week and not have an Excel sheet that calculated rate of gain per day, pounds to reach target weights, project county fair weight, etc. Great job as usual!
As a mom, currently going through "Crunch Time" I totally can understand this blog. Last night as I told my daughter hold it just a little longer and she gave me the look like "Mom, I am dying here!" But she held it just a little longer, and I know today her legs are sore and her arms hurt but we are hoping for the payoff, if not at the fair, in life. We do find that we have to stand firm just a little bit longer! Thanks for letting me know that at some point my daughter will see the value not just the pain! Ms. Sandra
Is that the lucky shirt in the last picture?? I couldn't help but laugh about the domestic disputes.. its true! lol.. as the ag teacher I just walk off and try not to roll my eyes or get caught in the cross fire lol --- ab
I learned all about Boot Camp, as we call it, before my first World Show in 04.. Workouts, riding (minimum of) twice a day, cleaning, polishing... I could recite twelve step patterns and polish silver in. my. sleep. It totally does pay off.
As for the turning into real life lessons - I credit it as the reason that I am the VERY STRANGE person who loves and THRIVES on finals week. High pressure, one week, nothing to think about but studying and my tests? Oh, heck yes.
Guess it's a livestock thing ;)
Post a Comment