Thursday, July 7, 2011

Throwback Thursday #56: Running With Scissors

"Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.” ~ Mark Twain

Well, here we are, a mere 24 days from the half marathon. And you know what? I need some darn motivation. On my last run, I literally spent the whole time trying to do the math to see how much of the half marathon I could walk and still finish in the time. Fortunately, I'm slow at math so this took a while.

Anyway, this got me to thinking about the good ol' days and I knew I had to write a blog about running with scissors. Disclaimer: I am not trying to give the attorney for Logan High School or Mrs. Franklin a heart attack. Remember, don't shoot the messenger. And relax, it's been 10 years, so statutes of limitation have likely run anyway.

In high school, I never ran track. My ankles were shot by this time of year from basketball, and we were always really busy on the farm with sheep sales and planting and all of that jazz. So, while everyone else went to the track, I headed to off-season p.e. with the other slackers. Who was in charge of off-season? None other than Mr. Franklin himself.

Every day, we ran the hill, which was just up the street by the school and totaled maybe 3/4 of a mile. Mr. Franklin had a simiple grading system each day. (I know because who do you think entered his grades into the computer he could barely turn on?) If you beat him back to the school, you got an A. If he beat you, you got an F. Now, it really should not have been a big deal to beat this little guy in his late 50's up the road and back. But let me tell you, he was a fast dude. And he was killer competetive. And he would cheat. There were some days where I think that he probably could have outrun Jackie Joyner-Kersee!

And then one day we were running along, and I hear a strange sound behind me. I turn around, and Mr. Franklin is running right behind us.....with a pair of scissors. Now picture this. Mr. Franklin, running up the hill with scissors snapping in his hands, chasing a bunch of girls threatening to cut our hair. Some of the girls laughed it off. Not me. I had known this man far too well for far too long.....and I didn't trust him one bit. So you best believe it kicked it in gear and got an A that day!

That's what I need right now on my morning runs. Mr. Franklin behind me with a pair of scissors. I'd kill that half marathon with that sort of preparation! They say you don't know what you have until it's gone. Well, I can tell you that for me and a pair of scissors, that rings true!

8 comments:

QB @ Tales from Domestic Obscurity said...

Oh my...how hilarious. I can see this in my head. What a great motivator :). Good luck on your race...can you think of someone you don't much like running behind you...or even beating you. I'm so competitive I always shot for beating faster friend's times. My other thought is always the faster I run the faster I get this over with :).

Meghan said...

Oh my gosh. That's insane and hilarious at the same time! Maybe you can picture him during the half??? You're going to be great!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Jupiter, this was funny. Keep that mental picture with you in San Fran and you're gonna kill that half!

-College Roomie

Jessica said...

Hilarious! I was seriously cracking up when I read this! Sounds like a great teacher :) They don't make them like they used to!

Susan said...

That is too funny! Or a moment I thought you were going to say he had a chicken as he was running behind you based on the picture! :-)

We also raised Suffolk/Hamp crosses, and I showed in Iowa.

Anonymous said...

ok, so you made me cry again, first from laughing cause I can picture that, and I know he would have done it, and the other because I miss him, As for motivation, St. Paul said something about running the race that God has set for us with perseverance. I have all confidence in you. Ms. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! I can hear the squealing and screaming now!! If that isn't motivation enough, I don't know what is!!! You will do great and will know that Mr. Franklin still has the upper hand!!! xoxo EB

Anonymous said...

Bahaha, sounds like an awesome teacher! I would've been scared shitless if anyone was running up beind me with scissors! That definitely would motivate me to go faster! :) Keep up the good work girl!