Monday, November 7, 2011

Meet the Cast Monday #37: The Animal House Boys (Part 1)

So in college, I had this group of the most fun guy friends in the world. I call them the Animal House boys. Have y'all seen that old movie "Animal House" before? If not, go find it. Right now. You'll thank me.



Anyway, my boys were the group that everyone knew. They were popular and fun and smart and cute and awesome.


And how they let me into the circle is still beyond me. They were (and still are) far too cool for a nerd like me. But they did, and I'm forever grateful because my most fun college memories involved them. Because there are so many of them, today you're going to meet 2 of the 5. I'll introduce the other three next week.


Meet The Animal House Boys!


Let's start out with my dear friend who I refer to as Mr. Animal House Boy.



This guy is one of the funniest people you'll ever meet. And he comes up with hilarious stuff out of nowhere--you have to be on your toes. You read previously about his amazing wedding to his beautiful wife. He's just one of the greatest guys you'll ever meet and he totally made college more fun for me!


What is your favorite college memory? The house party at Animal House was pretty awesome where Joel Ambrose played with his band in the living room. {No lie, these house parties were epic. Think like 300 people jammed into a house where a stage had been set up in the living room for live music. Did the cops show up? Yes. And once we all directed traffic to get all of the cars parked in the yard and not on the street, they went on their happy way. I love Stillwater!}


What is your favorite memory involving me? Several...Any time at the Penny. {You guys have heard lots about the Penny here and there on my blog.} Any time you had to pick NM Animal House Boy and I up from the Penny. And then the debriefing the next day at class about what actually happened the night before. {I was totally the mom...if I was not out with them at the bar, they knew they just had to call and I'd show up in my pjs to drive them home at any hour of the night. I was paid back with big hugs and being repeatedly told how much they loved me on the drive home!}



And not a favorite but memorable was when we were studying for our commodities class and you were trying real hard to tutor me, and I finally got frustrated and decided to drop the class and go to the bar. Ironically enough the next day after the test he curved the class and I would have been fine if I listened to you. {Before he went to the bar, he made dinner for the other 5 of us who stayed there studying. I still refer to that casserole as Mr. Animal House Boy's Mama's Casserole.}

Tell us one thing that you did to throw the best college house parties. The best ones weren't planned. Usually started with some of us sitting around drinking beer and just gathered people. However one of the best was when none of us were home and people just started showing up. Andy and I got home at 10:00 p.m. And there was already a truck with a keg parked in the driveway and about 2 dozen people. {Does this make anyone else miss college? This sort of thing hasn't happened to me since!}

Best advice you were ever given? That's a tough one. Seems like most of the time I thought the advice or profound it was really simple. For examples go with your gut or first instincts are typically right. Warren Buffett says no thumb sucking, (no procrastination) easier said than done but I try to live by that. By saying all this I may have thought of it. Take care of the big things and the small stuff will take care of itself.


Give us a piece of relationship advice. Go with your gut and don't settle because the relationship is comfortable. {Amen!}


What is one (or more) item(s)on your bucket list? To go to the Calgary Stampede with my dad. See the Grand Canyon. Take my wife to Australia. Win the Hereford Pen show or Horned Hereford bull show at Denver.

Second up, we have Pig Farmer.


He lives in Texas with his amazing wife and their new baby daughter. He continues pain in my rear even 5 years after we all lived happily together in Stillwater and responded with "I don't remember" to every question. But I have to admit, I still love him. You can't help it. Here are a few Pig Farmer stories.

1. He's Texas through at through. Probably a month after meeting him we went over to the boys' house and he said, "Everyone sit down. We're going to talk about how great Texas is." I laughed. He did not. He was dead serious. And so we did.

2. He's a huge Gary Allan fan. Once, after too much beer, he told everyone at a party that sometimes he pretends to be Gary Allan Driving down the road. I thought he meant by singing his songs. He clarified.....he does interviews with himself and pretends to answer like GA. Seriously.

3. One night when the boys lived in Donkey Farm (the pre-cursor to Animal House), NM Animal House Boy and Pig Farmer made us dinner. Afterwards, College Roomie and I said we'd do the dishes. We get started and ask Pig Farmer where the soap is. He says, "Eh don't worry you don't need soap. You can just use really hot water." Um.....no.


4. Once we were talking about parties back home. Pig Farmer says, "Yea, I miss those days. Everyone just hanging out and the priest tapping the keg." I have no idea. It's been a running joke with College Roomie and me ever sense that conversation.

Stay tuned next week for The Governor, Trailerpark Bryan, and NM Animal House Boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that is one thing that would have made the Animal House parties even better: why did we never find a priest to tap the keg??

-College Roomie

Meghan said...

They sound like a riot! I definitely had a group of guys like that. too!